• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
laldy875

205 Gti6 Gearbox Removal

laldy875

I need to change hockey stick seals on bearing number 1.. Is it best to just remove the gearbox or take the whole engine out? Cheers, Tom

Batfink

Can be done without removing the engine but its a horrific task! I'd be more tempted to drop the subframe

laldy875

I can use a scissor lift and transmission jack, would be ok?

Batfink

I managed on my back after removing the battery tray but its a horrible job getting the bulky thing over the subframe. Might be a bit more work but it will be less physical with the subframe out the way. Better than removing the radiator

Tom Fenton

Dropping the subframe is an easy enough task, and does make wrestling with the gearbox much easier.

laldy875

I've had the subframe off recently so should be fine. Bloody seals! I'm itching to get it down to knockhill this year but so many little things

Edited by laldy875

Tom Fenton

Whilst you are there do the main crank seal too at the flywheel end.

laldy875

Thanks Tom, that was the plan. Just to make sure there is nothing else that needs replaced? The flywheel bolts haven't been on that long

Tom Fenton

Diff oil seals I find if recent e.g. not 10 years old and rock hard will usually go again at least once so you can save a bit there. Flywheel bolts thoroughly clean and de grease then use loctite.

laldy875

Before hauling it all apart, I thought I'd check the leak again. I checked all sump bolts, all were present and at the correct torque. Also doesn't smell like gearbox or power steering fluid.

P1070190_zps2670eddd.jpg

P1070191_zps858be8a1.jpg

P1070193_zpsc9bee735.jpg

P1070195_zps01d064e2.jpg

So I've noticed oil along the join from gearbox to block. Oil pressure has been getting slowly lower, after running there is a few drips. Pressure is still pretty constant, seems slightly lower on idle.

Definitely the hockey seals then?

On the back of the block, on the bolts for the plastic coolant pipe, and right the way up the speedo cable. That could be the speedo o ring? No leak from camcovers or vacuum.

Also I read some where that there are two short bolts that are beneath the crank seal? Is it the ones shown in the picture below? sumpoffgti6_zpscb69c792.jpg

aldworth33

Inherited this problem it seems lol