• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TBC WEBER 45s

Head Gasket

TBC WEBER 45s

Ok all I am looking for advice on head gaskets and were to get one form.I had a spesso sps66485 and found that it was pretty bullet proof it has lasted 4 years.I have had std types before and didn't last long. I'm asking because I have cracked my block so engine rebuild a again . Thanks

welshpug

which engine? I've had no issues with standard gaskets, Peugeot originals tend to be some of the best available and usually fairly priced, though for the alloy block a decent saving can be had by using good aftermarket items.

I would not call 4 years a great gasket life, though if the block has cracked then its not the gasket at fault now is it?

Kezzer30

Ditto on on that 4 years ? How many miles them 4 years , ive just had mine done and hoping it will last more than 4 years

TBC WEBER 45s

which engine? I've had no issues with standard gaskets, Peugeot originals tend to be some of the best available and usually fairly priced, though for the alloy block a decent saving can be had by using good aftermarket items.

I would not call 4 years a great gasket life, though if the block has cracked then its not the gasket at fault now is it?

no it is not but I will need a new one its a 1.9 8v pushing 173bhp I have put a long time and money in to it and the last gasket cost £130

Ditto on on that 4 years ? How many miles them 4 years , ive just had mine done and hoping it will last more than 4 years

about 40000 ps hard miles and it's the block is ****ed the gasket I had was good with no problems

DamirGTI

Curious about reasons why your HG's blew . Power shouldn't be an real issue , and you've had uprated Spesso HG (which is good firm)

What kind of damage you've had on the HG-s ?

Think about head gaskets like an "fuse" on electric system . It's there to , by blowing out , prevent further engine damage which would inevitably happen if the head gasket failure didn't warn you (by blowing out) that theres something wrong engine wise being a cooling system which cannot disperse the heat or leaks pressure , abnormalities in air-fuel mixture burning process inside the cylinders , head/block mating surface imperfections , too tight or loose head bolt torque force , etc.

D

TBC WEBER 45s

Curious about reasons why your HG's blew . Power shouldn't be an real issue , and you've had uprated Spesso HG (which is good firm)

What kind of damage you've had on the HG-s ?

Think about head gaskets like an "fuse" on electric system . It's there to , by blowing out , prevent further engine damage which would inevitably happen if the head gasket failure didn't warn you (by blowing out) that theres something wrong engine wise being a cooling system which cannot disperse the heat or leaks pressure , abnormalities in air-fuel mixture burning process inside the cylinders , head/block mating surface imperfections , too tight or loose head bolt torque force , etc.

D

its the block that is****ed with a 3in crank in it the head gasket was good please read the 1st post

allanallen

I think you've answered the question yourself already, fit another spesso gasket. You're clearly happy with it so why not fit another?

Kezzer30

I think you've answered the question yourself already, fit another spesso gasket. You're clearly happy with it so why not fit another?

Yes this is a great point , u said it yourself 40,000 hard miles and still good , must be worth the money and a winning forumula , dont change a winning team they always say haha

TBC WEBER 45s

Yer I no I was looking for any alternative one's for the same kind of price. I will most probably stick with the same one but it will be nice to no what others are using ;-)

Anthony

I think the point that Damir and others are making is that a good quality standard head gasket should comfortably last 40k+ miles as well, and if they weren't and repeatedly failed prematurely, then maybe there was a more fundemental underlying cause.

Clearly the cracked block is unlikely to be related to the previous failing HG's, and I agree, if you were happy with the previous proven gasket then why change it? Yes it's a bit more expensive, but when you factor in time in potentially having to do the job twice (or more) then it's arguably worth it if you know that it'll last.

Personally I've not had problems with Payen gaskets which have always worked and lasted.

• Like 1

welshpug

Standard genuine pug gasket here, 60k miles, 10 years, still going strong ! retail at £40 odd.

I do believe most engine builders will just use standard o.e.m gaskets in n-a builds, even when pushing them further than most have ever taken them.

TBC WEBER 45s

I think the point that Damir and others are making is that a good quality standard head gasket should comfortably last 40k+ miles as well, and if they weren't and repeatedly failed prematurely, then maybe there was a more fundemental underlying cause.

Clearly the cracked block is unlikely to be related

Personally I've not had problems with Payen gaskets which have always worked and lasted.

thanks for that how much and were from?

Anthony

Any decent motorfactor should be able to supply Payen parts - from memory, 8v head gasket alone was something in the region of £15, or it is also available as part of a complete head gasket set for something in the region of £40-50.

Motaquip do a complete head gasket set (with bolts) very reasonably priced too, and whilst normally Motaquip is pretty good and the gasket subjectively looked fine, the jury is out - the only engine I fitted one to subsequently suffered a repeat failure after around 12k miles, although it's unclear whether the gasket is the cause or symptom of the fault as I've not yet pulled it apart (it had other issues that maybe to blame).

I've not personally had issues, but a trustworthy source steered me away from BGA gaskets, and I won't even bother using any no-names generic parts.

jack-da-stripper

hi , sorry to hijack your thread but could you tell me how you managed 173 bhp ? aiming round that area myself in my new build

cheers jack

TBC WEBER 45s

hi , sorry to hijack your thread but could you tell me how you managed 173 bhp ? aiming round that area myself in my new build no problems very deep pockets then start at the bottom and replace it all have a look at same of the builds on here and get Reading and think what's best for your needs

cheers jack

TBC WEBER 45s

Wall have gone for another spesso gasket from NYSSA for £145 super fast delivery next day thanks Trevor

welshpug
:blink:

Tom Fenton

Wall have gone for another spesso gasket from NYSSA for £145 super fast delivery next day thanks Trevor

Did he have stock? I tried to buy a Spesso for a turbo wet liner engine earlier in the year and could not source one anywhere at the time.

Mac Crash

:blink:

:lol:

hi , sorry to hijack your thread but could you tell me how you managed 173 bhp ? aiming round that area myself in my new build

cheers jack

170 (for 1.9 8V) isn't so difficult to make and shouldn't bankrupt you... too much

Good cylinder head work, vernier pulley, higher compression ratio, and camshaft, uprated fuel pressure regulator, balanced bottom end and lightened flywheel if possible, all this working through improved induction i.e. K&N air filter and proper 4 branch exhaust manifold won't be far away from this... if... set up properly, i.e. and that's the key... we also all too often forget the obvious, little things like slick 50 engine treatment will reduce friction, friction is your engines enemy...

This man here isn't so far away from you http://www.mikestewartperformanceengineering.20m.com/index_1.html he done my pal's 1.9 and driving his car in the dry is like driving mines (standard 1.9) in the wet :)

TBC WEBER 45s

Did he have stock? I tried to buy a Spesso for a turbo wet liner engine earlier in the year and could not source one anywhere at the time.

yes mate he has.No 3 to 4 week wait