• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bjmulford

Another Timing Question

bjmulford

Hi All, have been trying to find out the exact ignition advance in degrees for an Mi16 engine. I dont have a manual and can't find it on t'internet or on ere!, cheers B.

welshpug

why? :lol:

it varies on engine spec, but a standard one you will never need to worry about as the ecu controls it.

bjmulford

thanks welshpug, But surely the distributor needs to be set at the correct angle (Its the gti dist. on an adapter plate and very adjustable!). Am running gti ecu and loom at present too.

jackherer

Ideally you need to fit the proper management but if you're going to use an 8v dizzy time it the same way you'd time an 8v, advance it bit by bit until it just starts to pink under load then back it off slightly. The timing figures for the 8v and the Mi16 are all based on 80s 4 star fuel so they're useless these days.

• Like 1

bjmulford

Ok thanks mate. A friend of mine is going to time it with a gun and he wants figures (hes an engineer!) I will fit better management at a later date when I have money to upgrade.

welshpug

just find a decent gradient and tweak it till it pinks in a high gear, then back it off a touch, that will be far more accurate than a timing light as the current ignition curve is for an 8 valve engine not the 16!

Miles

You never time a 8v on std figures and a light is U/S on these engine's, They like to run allot of advance on the right fuel which can make a huge difference in power

petert

See attached, for 3 row (158/161) and 2 row (139) maps.

post-2864-0-19391200-1377815795_thumb.jpg

post-2864-0-31139100-1377815889_thumb.jpg

Edited by petert

bjmulford

ok thanks guys. Am i right in interpreting the maps in that the timing changes from 8 or 12 degrees at 600/680 revs to 28/30 degrees at 6000/6200 revs? if so wow! will hopefully have a crack at it next week! many thanks again, B.