• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Slo

Need A Full Set Of Driveshaft Cv Boots

Slo

Where's best place to buy a full set of drive shaft cv boots mine are knackered and despite numerous attempts to seal them they are throwing all the grease out everywhere. I've got 1.6 cti shafts

welshpug

any motorfactor, just avoid the generic stretchy boots, GSF do GKN and corrteco which in my experience work very well, AMK are reasonable quality from Motaquip.

farmer

I found genuine Pug to be the best but they are quite pricey.

Slo

I always bought dealer boots for my 605 at around 40 each but they lasted forever only problem i had with them was catching them with tools and nicking the shoulders and creating holes which is what as happened to my 205 boots. Can you still get inner and outer from stealers? Ill have a look at gsf now cheers guys

welshpug

you could likely replace all 4 for the price of one from a dealer, they wont be 4 times better!

farmer

Going by QH they were rubbish never go to the factors now really.

welshpug

that's just one brand, but yes, they are rubbish.

Slo

bummer gsf website says inner ones aren't available for home delivery. Only way round this for me is i've got some good 1.9 shafts with decent boots on em and new stainless shaft nuts from tom fenton but i dont have 1.9 hubs to go with them am i right in thinking the hub carrier, that is the part that the strut and wishbone ball joint fits into is the same on all models? I know the wheel bearings are also different.

hcmini1989

Whats wrong with the strecthy ones @ welshpug?.

farmer

Slo

I have a set of cv boots that were bought for a 1.9 GTI dunno if that would help you?

I know the outer ones are around £35 EACH

Slo

Already got 1.9s here i could swap over i need 1.6 ones as their narrower so far the shafts have put up a good fight against the turbo engines torque ive got no torque steer at all which is surprising but their not going to last long dry

welshpug

Just call in your local branch, preferably after taking measurements or taking the shaft with you, you may well find that a 106/saxo boot will be the same dimensions.

1.9 boots will not fit a 1.6 as they have a larger CV joint both inner and outer.

stretchy boots are crap because they are stretchy :lol:

IME they are far too flexible, never the correct profile, diameter etc, and very prone to ballooning and getting caught on stuff and tear very easily due to being thin, not an issue with the correctly moulded direct fit part.

Prices in your local branch also tend to be lower than online ;)

Edited by welshpug

Slo

You mean main stealer? I have one right across the road from me and to be honest i do prefer original stuff for oily/greasy areas. What about the hub carriers are they all the same on every model?

welshpug

no, I meant GSF, or any other motorfactor that does a decent quality brand.

as for hubs, have a look at the article on the main 205 gti drivers website.

Slo

oh i see didnt know gsf had shops thought it was an online thing, i agree with the stretch boots being s*it too same as the glue boots too might as well use a pair of tights lol.

stanz

Aren't they normally on an exchange basis? Take your old ones with you then you won't have to pay out the full amount up front.

Slo

I only want cv boots my shafts are fine

hcmini1989

Ive never found a problem with the stretchy ones as long as there a decent make ,I would have thought they would last alot longer as well as they are alot more supple than normal boots.

welshpug

Far from it IME, good ones are far stiffer, some are even plastic.

hcmini1989

The plastic ones are always coming off because there to stiff.A decent make like bahco or bailcast witch are not universal there are diffrent sizes for diffrent cars are just as good as a normal one.And a damn site cheaper judging by some of the pug prices.

welshpug

never heard of those two brands :lol:

I prefer to use boots that are the right size, then they wont come off, tend to be the same price as the damned stretchy crap too!

Slo

Been to motor factors today to check some out and first up oddly were called bailcast in green boxes. Wasn't overly impressed with the look of them tbh, like a soft rubber but they are designed to stretch over the cv joint and the inner ones looked a little too narrow.

So i asked the guy to confirm they were for 1.6 to which he replied that he thought mine was a 1.9 (i've known him a long time and he knows me and knew my car had a 1.9 in itl, then he said we only have motorquip ones for 1.6 so i asked to see them to which he replied motorquip make them for bailcast so would be exactly the same and on opening the boxes they did indeed look identical so taken them and will fit them tomorrow. I won't be stretching them though i will be stripping the whole shafts down and fitting them properly.

Also got a pot of cv grease as i think there's never enough in the boot kits unless you buy from main stealer.

Anyway here's what i got £6 each for the inner's £8 for the outer's

IMG_20130828_190244_zpsfbb84872.jpg

farmer

Proof in the pudding will be if they last.

Slo

As ever but at least they aren't the universal type crap they are car specific. So shouldn't bubble up and tear for a few years, I will be keeping my eye on them.