• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lode16

Peugeot 205 1.9 Gti 1989

lode16

Hello,

Just bought my first GTI so joined the website for learning a bit more about different aspects of the car and to show my project.

The objective is to restore the car in his original state. When i picked the car up there where some parts missing of the interior like the floor mat, rear bench, .. The previous owner wanted to make it a track day car but guess the plan fell trough.

Try to mind the mistakes in languages as i'm from belgium :)

This is how the car looked like when i went to pick it up.

IMG_1145.JPG

IMG_1147.JPG

As for the interior:

IMG_1154.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

The plan is to strip down the car and give it a full respray and refurbish all the mechanical parts.

Edited by lode16

lode16

So after i stored it under the carport i started with the strip down. Here some pictures of how i stands.

IMG_1186.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

Removed the engine and subframe.

IMG_1444.JPG

Still have to remove the rear axle, gas tank and the door/windows.

So where almost ready for the prep work. Still struggling on which color i want. Keep the original color or go for silver grey. Any thoughts?

jackherer

The front panel of that 205 is incredibly clean looking, I'm not sure I've ever seen one with no rust there at all when the bumper comes off.

lode16

Its incredible that an almost 25 year old car has zero to non rust on it. The only real rust that i could find is inside the doors where it sits on the rubber.

jackherer

In that case I would keep the original colour, there are very few left in that sort of original condition. Were the nuts and bolts etc rusty like normal?

Edit: if it's a 1989 it isn't totally original, the rear lights and front indicators have been changed for later ones.

Edited by jackherer

lode16

I really like the silver grey but i guess a truly original 205 has more value. The original color isn't that bad either :). The nuts and bolts had normal rust except for the 2 bolts that hold the left hand indicator and the bolt that holds the release cable for the bonnet. Think i need to drill them out.

The previous owner changed the lights to the newer model but i'm planning to change them back.

Already picked up the back seats and red floor mat but still need some interior parts.

thx for the reply :)

jackherer

Those new rear lights needed wiring modifications that you'll need to undo if you want to go back to the originals. If you can find a scrap pre 1990 205 (doesn't have to be a GTI) you can unplug the wiring loom for the rear lights from the fusebox and replace it in one piece instead of splicing things on which never works out well.

Keep posting pictures and updates and you'll soon get access to the for sale and wanted section where you can get the interior parts.

lode16

Will try to find a non modified loom yes :). Yesterday took the rear axle and gas tank out. Almost ready with strip down.

IMG_1462.JPG

Again almost no rust :)

IMG_1463.JPG

jackherer

It must have been kept garaged for most of its life. How many KMs has it covered?

lode16

Must be, quite happy with the chassis :). Really don't think it needs any welding. Only need to cut out the brackets for the roll cage. It has 175000km.

jackherer

That's 108000 miles, it doesn't look like it's covered that much.

Pug_sport

Just curious, What van is that you used to tow it?

I have a Fiat Scudo 1.9d which looks the same, and not sure how well it would tow a pug on a trailer.

Please enlighten me.

Thanks

lode16

Its a citroën Jumpy. 1.9D. Guess the same engine a yours. Did the job good, even with that trailer wich is way to heavy.

I will start with the reconditioning of the rear axle and the brakes, i found the part numbers needed but like to find some other genuine pug parts. Is there any site where you can find genuine parts wich can be ordered at a pug dealer? Inc prices?

lode16

Back with a update. Hadn't have that much time. Stripped the beam, suspension and brakes to get them ready for sandblasting and powder coating.

Also went to 30 years 205 yesterday. Some pictures:

Would like to have them 2 in my garage :)

IMG_1514.JPG

And this one!

IMG_1528.JPG

More picutres here:

https://plus.google.com/photos/109833983663217012646/albums/5921639034860851521

Im looking to buy a green sorento interior for another project (After this one i hope :D).

What should i pay for the seats, green floor carpet and console in good condition?

lode16

Some parts for powder coating:

IMG_1562.JPG