• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cheesegrater

Bike Engine In A Car: Chain Drive To Prop Drive?

welshpug

parts-images-sprocket-800px.jpg

cheesegrater

This would work if the engines mounted transversely.

allanallen

Lol so that must mean there is a common conversion propshalf adaptor for the bike engines. answers the OP question

No, not at all because the op wants to mount the engine transversely not longitudinally l

allanallen

This would work if the engines mounted transversely.

Take it you mean 'wouldn't work'??

cheesegrater

No I want to mount it longitudinally if I'm using a v twin. Sorry I should have made that clearer.

NFS

so there is your answer! MEI where do you find such creations?

NFS

gonefishing.jpg

cheesegrater

So that flange adaptor will work fine with an I4 but anything for a v2?

welshpug

Cant imagine it being vastly different at all.

cheesegrater

Well a v twin is mounted with cylinder 1 being at the front of a bike where as a I4 is mounted transversely with cylinder 1 on one side and 3/4 on the other. So running an i4 longitudinally is fine with that flange but not with a v twin if you see what I mean.

welshpug

Just turn the vee through 90 degrees then!

welshpug

Why?

Mac Crash

quad bike engine and 4wd

Keep your silly ideas to yourself!

lamo :D

Goodluck, I'm sure you'll achieve what your looking for... I've seen a GSX-R 1100 engine in a mini, rear engined, chain drive, 14,000rpm, sequential box, it was a sight to behold and the fastest mini on the track that day until it went off and into a hay bale, the pilot was okay, just knocked the fibreglass front end off, but yip, impressive, but it kind of suited the mini (proper mini, not that BMW thing) light weight, wheel at each corner, given 25 years between them (the mini and the 205) then not so disimilar? :)

Liquid_106

IMG_3968.jpg

Can just see at the top of the picture, the uj on the gearbox out put connecting it to the prop.

'Feels' fast & nice sequential box with flat shift from the power commander, but impractical (IMO) as can be difficult to set off in first and the lack of a reverse gear.

allanallen

But I don't want to?

Why ever not? :P

photo_zps093eca14.jpg

• Like 1

cheesegrater

Why ever not? :P

photo_zps093eca14.jpg

Point made ahaha!

boldy205

Maybe a phone call to Quaife will answer some questions, but either way sticking a bike engine in a car will never be easy. Why not gti6 a moped?!

Furyblade_Lee

I have a 440kg kit car with 150 bhp Yamaha R1 in it. Any questions regarding sticking a bike engine in a car shell direct to Z Cars in Yorkshire ( Chris Allinson ) . He does off the shelf rear-engine kits to put bike engines into Saxo / 106 mainly Hayabusa and R1. Not cheap, but his kits are works of art. I adore mine, it's exciting as ****, but not sure I would put one in a 700kg car. He also does rear engine kits to take Type R and Volvo Turbo in a Saxo / 106. I'd like to stick a turbocharged Peugeot engine in the back for keeping it French, would be flippin' stunning.

If you want to keep it FWD, another company ( not sure the name ) specializes in putting an R1 engine in a classic mini. I am sure that can be adapted, fits the diff in the engine bay, looks very neat.

Unless you can get the weight down to 600kgs or so you would probably be better with a car engine, unless to turbocharge the bike engine, but trust me unless you have DEEP pockets a turbo bike engine and all the rolling roading, tuning / ECU / cooling systems cost FAR more than you will be quoted in the real world. But in a lightweight car a standard bike engine is one of the most amazing things you will ever drive.