• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ted

Sound Proofing

Guest Ted

simple question -

what should i use to proof my doors and Rear quarter ?

whats the best value?

cheers

Ted

Guest alan106Gsi

brown bread all the way mate , my car is covered in the stuff , real easy to use aswell .

al.

Guest Dave

A friend of mine has been doing his whole car in flashing tape from B&Q.

From what I can tell, its just as effective as the proper stuff, but heaps cheaper.

Guest Ted

is flashing tape all that effective at reducing vibration though?

how thick is the tape?

sleeper205

isn't brown bread really heavy?

RichE

Interesting.

Simes

Looks like I've found something new to do!!

RichE

Me too

Time to strip the car and goto town again, this should compliment the £300 of dynamatt extreme my car has!

You can buy the tape here.

Edited by OracIe

Guest Ted

^ thats cheap 10nner for 4 pannels (maybe the front doors 2 each) + plus a roll of flashing to finish

about £25 :lol:

Edited by Ted

Ahl

Similar to flashing tape, but more effective, you can get rolls of self-adheisive, non-gritted roofing felt from DIY places.

I got a roll from Wickes. I think its 1m x 10m and cost about £12.

It has a plastic coating on one side, with the glue on the other and IS the same material as brown bread/dynamat etc.

Guest Ted

ok this is the result of this post :

soundproofing1.jpg

soundproofing2.jpg

soundproofing3.jpg

i used roofing underlay, self-adheisive simple to apply its about 4mm thick - 3layers ideal

comes in a roll of 1x10 metres £27, still got a fair bit of it over :rolleyes: but it still worked out cheaper than flashing tape to cover the big areas of the doors etc (at £17 but you need to use several rolls).

Edited by Ted

Guest Hallsy

So where is most effective to do in the 205? Boot floor, rear quarters and doors?

Does it add much weight to the car? I'd love to sound deaden mine but after spending loads of cash tuning it i don't want to be weighing it down accesively!! Are these cost effectrive methods particuarly heavy?

Robbie G

Check out woosey's sound deadening article on the parent site. It will make a small difference to the weight, depends how much you add.

Guest Ted

the stuff i used was fairly light - much lighter than dynamat

its doesn't add much weight thankfully, just try to be efficent with where you put it

i just did the doors and rear quarters. The boots not really worth it me thinks as the stardard mat is very heavy and does a good enough job - adding more proofing would just mean more weight .

under the back seats IMO is just more weight aswell as the seats do a nice job to reduce the noise already :rolleyes:

Edited by Ted

Guest Hallsy

OK cheers guys.

Ted, do you think it has made much of a difference? Is road noise/exhaust noise, etc significantly reduced?

Guest davemar
Similar to flashing tape, but more effective, you can get rolls of self-adheisive, non-gritted roofing felt from DIY places.

I got a roll from Wickes. I think its 1m x 10m and cost about £12.

It has a plastic coating on one side, with the glue on the other and IS the same material as brown bread/dynamat etc.

I currently building some domestic loudspeakers, and could do with something to stick on the inside of the cabinet to dampen things, this stuff sounds like it could do the trick; would you agree?

Also going back to more 205 related things, I ripped out the fibrous wadding stuff in the boot floor recently as it had turned really skanky. What would be something similar to replace it with?

Guest Ted
Ted, do you think it has made much of a difference? Is road noise/exhaust noise, etc significantly reduced?

reduces high speed noise, cuts down on vibrations (ergo rattles), makes the doors very solid too.

the more you add the more significant the noise reduction

but then you have to balance noise & weight etc

so its really a personal thing

Edited by Ted

Guest Serg

ted - does useing the roof stuff make the speakers sound any better or not? is it just to reduce road noise? and did u use only the roofing felt stuff?

sorry forgot who seald off the doors with perspex but does that make much difference cheers. brad

Simes
sorry forgot who seald off the doors with perspex but does that make much difference cheers. brad

I have and Matt Cony had too.....it reduces a bit of road noise and tightens up the speaker sound a little but it mainly gives the door a nice clunk sound when you close it! :)

Guest Serg

hmm may give that ago as well then. how thick perspex should i be using?

Simes
hmm may give that ago as well then. how thick perspex should i be using?

2 or 3mm - the thinnest you can buy. It's about £15 for a sheet.

Sign in to follow this