• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
analog_addict

205 Cj Low Biting Clutch?

analog_addict

Hi,

I've just bought a nice condition 1990 205 CJ Junior. I've only ever really driven modern cars and struggling a bit with the clutch in this. The bite point is very low, under 1 inch from the floor making everything harder than it should be. My mate said this is how it's meant to be on all old French cars but it doesn't quite seem right to me. The clutch pedal also has a lot of resistance and is very springy making smooth gear changes quite hard.

Is my mate right or is something I need to sort out? As you can probably tell I'm a new driver and know little about cars and their mechanics (I'm trying to learn quickly!). Is it worth taking to a garage and see what they advise?

BERTMAN

I'd probably start by checking if the clutch cable is tight enough. By the sounds of it it isn't. If the pedal keeps lowering back over time that would suggest the cable is knackered so would need replacing. Very easy job and cheap too. I've also seen the clutch arms on the gearboxes bend before now so might be worth a check also.

analog_addict

I'd probably start by checking if the clutch cable is tight enough. By the sounds of it it isn't. If the pedal keeps lowering back over time that would suggest the cable is knackered so would need replacing. Very easy job and cheap too. I've also seen the clutch arms on the gearboxes bend before now so might be worth a check also.

Thanks. I'll try tightening the clutch cable and if the problem re-occurs I'll replace it. I also have a problem of a very loose/wobbly accelerator pedal. The wobble is in all directions, left, right, up and down. I've had a look and can't figure out how to fix this. Any ideas?