• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonb_5

Which Pick Up

jonb_5

Hi,

I am considering buying a pickup but my question is which one?

I will have around £4000.

I am going to be renovating a house and have considered a van but figured a pick up would be a better compromise moving away from a car.

I have a 330d touring at present but don't want to wreck it putting building materials etc in it over the next 12-18 months.

What would be best, Navara, Hilux, Ranger, L200, Rodeo?

Thanks

Jon

dcc

Chevrolet Suburban 5.7 v8

welshpug

just get a van IMO, all the off roaders have poor weight carrying capacity, very heavy on fuel, and most stuff around £4k will likely have high mileage and issues, whereas a similar budget will get you a pretty clean far more economical van, better carrying capacity and a lot less to go wrong.

• Like 1

chipstick

I've a soft spot for a P100 :lol:

• Like 2

Simes

Volvo estate

Cheap, large and comfortable.

jeremy

I do property refurbishment and use a Disco, and other than a van would be better for storing my tools in I wouldn't be without my trailor, so much so I kindly let my dad buy me a new Ifor Williams :)

MiniGibbo

Pick ups are useless for building work.

Get a van. Can get a half decent transit for that budget.

GilesW

When was the last time you saw a proper builder with a pick up?

A van big enough for 8x4 sheets is what you want.

• Like 1

Davy

..the poor fella came on looking advice on pick ups, and you are all melting his head with van talk!!...

..so!.. what about a tow bar on the BM and a decent trailer behind it?!.. :D

honestly tho, I often thaught about the van thing, but the Mondeo estate and trailer combo has worked well for me... with the seats down and trailer on you can transport mega amounts... but ditch the trailer and put the seats up and you take a small community out on a sunday drive in comfort and still achieve 40mpg.

welshpug

Most vans these days will stretch to 40mpg, and arent uncomfortable, avoid iveco though :lol:

jeremy

Most vans these days will stretch to 40mpg, and arent uncomfortable, avoid iveco though :lol:

Oh I don't know my 7.5 t iveco horsebox is excellent at transporting large building materials :) only a couple of draw backs, a little large on the odd occasion, does about 14mpg, smells of horse, but on the plus side has its own caitering facilities with an on suite wc.

welshpug

I mean the vans specifically, the trucks are a bit better, less to fall off!

MiniGibbo

What van does 40mpg with more than just your lunch box in it LOL

benny205mi16

I have an old hilux (Preg) Got it for the same reason, first house and loads of work to do. Paid £1800 7 years ago and it's been great, a few repairs mainly wear and tear, nothing to complain of in 7 years of ownership. But and it's a real but, if I went back and started again I think I would go down the van route for the following reasons, if you intend on leaving anything in the back you have to buy a hardtop or risk stuff being nicked, then because its a pick up when it rains heavy the back leaks. The load area is always waist high so you are always lifting things up, or climbing up into the back, where as a van is walk in. Also I would get a van which takes an 8x4 sheet, my pick is a single cab and still can't take the 8 length, it over hangs by about 8 inch which is not much but in the rain it's 8 inches getting wet.(oo er misses) Even after all that though I have loved having my pick up, and I am only looking to change it now because it had a lengthy advisory list on the last MOT.

allye

Defender 130! Not very helpful.... awful cars but amazing at the same time.

land-rover-defender-130-crew-cab-08.jpg

Lan

just get a van IMO, all the off roaders have poor weight carrying capacity, very heavy on fuel, and most stuff around £4k will likely have high mileage and issues, whereas a similar budget will get you a pretty clean far more economical van, better carrying capacity and a lot less to go wrong.

well said.. there's no way around it pickups are cack compared to vans!

you'll struggle to hit 40mpg with a load in a decent sized van though... I've managed 50mpg in a empty new sprinter before and that was hard work with normal driving your around 36-40mpg empty and these engines are very economical.

get a 903 Sprinter (Sprinter II), if you can find a 316 that's the one you want 5 pot 160bhp the lesser models are also perfectly good just less speed, don't get a sprintshift as just a faulty door switch can give you no drive and faults will require rectification and gearbox relearn on the computer, watch out for rust and have a good look under the engine bay request to have the engine cover removed prior to viewing to ensure the injector seals haven't failed and given you a black carbon mess which can end up costly to repair if the injectors are seized in there, other than that the engines will go forever and have long service intervals (20000 miles with 228.51 oil) if you don't want to service yourself drop it down to a dealer o.e parts, and reasonable-ish charges.

allye

Good suggestion Lan, my step dad only just got rid of one of his old Sprinters that was knocking on the door of 300k and still pulled loads quicker then the new style vans!

welshpug

I'd prefer the lt myself, same body, better engines, far easier to work on and a little cheaper again.

Not as powerful (109 bhp 2.5). Unless you get the 158 2.8!

For decent economy you need to look at the hdi, or tdci engines in the larger vans its the same ford puma diesel, or the smaller sevel manufactured vans (expert etc) the dw10 16v engine, detuned to 110 bhp.

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

Why not just buy a £1000 van and keep your BMW?

I am guessing you won't need to do massive miles in the van, and as its just for personal use you don't need to worry about presenting a professional image etc.

I've had a Peugeot Expert before, only downside is as said for your 8x4 sheets, but if you are buying a quantity most builders merchants will deliver for you anyway.

• Like 1

Lan

Another good call from welshpug, the LT is just a sprinter all Mercedes underneath just a vw engine I can't comment on the vw engines but the OM611 engines in the sprinters are some of Mercedes' best and as such we dont see many in for repair, and they are a doddle to work on

Edited by Lan

welshpug

Must have changed things of late, as the older 211/311's were buggers to work on, especially coked up injectors!

• Like 1

Lan

Oh there's no denying when the injector seals fail usually due to lack of servicing or they have been out before and incorrectly torqued and go unchecked the injectors are definitely buggers to get out I've snapped a fair few myself, the modern sprinters are way more fiddly in comparison though changing even simple things can be awkward.