• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gjuk

Gti6 205, With Twin Fan Setup And Oil Cooler

gjuk

Last night I decided I'd swap the fan on my 205 over to a twin fan type, as it gets quite hot after standing still having been on a thrash.

Took it all to bits, then spotted an oil cooler in the place of where one of the fans goes :-/

I had to relcate this to under the drivers side wheel arch and have installed the rad/twin fans back in situe.

a) where do people put this oil cooler, or so you remove it?

B) can you simply join the two fans tother in to the single plug to get them to work?

Thanks,

Jon

Anthony

You don't need twin fans - whilst it might eliminate the issue, realistically you're fixing the symptom rather than the underlying cause.

A standard single fan setup, working as it should, will comfortably keep a 205 cool in the mild UK climate.

Given the amount of stones and debris flicked up, I'm really not sure that I'd want an oil cooler anywhere near the wheel arch - and it's effectiveness will be significantly reduced not being in direct airflow. You can fit an aftermarket oil cooler underneath the fans behind the valance just about (someone posted pictures earlier this week if you do a search) but if you've the OE 1.9 air-oil cooler fitted, I don't know if the pipes are long enough or shaped correctly to allow you to do that.

gjuk

You don't need twin fans - whilst it might eliminate the issue, realistically you're fixing the symptom rather than the underlying cause.

A standard single fan setup, working as it should, will comfortably keep a 205 cool in the mild UK climate.

Given the amount of stones and debris flicked up, I'm really not sure that I'd want an oil cooler anywhere near the wheel arch - and it's effectiveness will be significantly reduced not being in direct airflow. You can fit an aftermarket oil cooler underneath the fans behind the valance just about (someone posted pictures earlier this week if you do a search) but if you've the OE 1.9 air-oil cooler fitted, I don't know if the pipes are long enough or shaped correctly to allow you to do that.

Thanks for your reply.

The rad is fine and very new, it's now had a coolant flush which might help it.

It only gets hot when you have stopped after driving quite quickly at high revs. *shrugs*. I'd assumed it was due to the bigger, more powerful gti6 engine in the small bay, making things quite warm!

I think the oil cooler should be okay where it is for now. I may remove it alltogether in the near future.