• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CaptainP

Misfire At Low Revs

CaptainP

I'm experiencing a misfire at low revs on my 1.6 CTI. In the past I've replaced the distributor cap as it had a habit of burning out one of the cap ports, but swapping for a new one this time has not cured it. I have checked the plugs and worryingly there is oil beneath 2 of the plugs (the one's nearest the distributor). The car has always 'used' oil in the 6 years that I've owned it but always presumed that it was valve guide oil seals. I'm now wondering if my rings are worn on 2 of the pistons and that's where the oil is coming up from or possible a H/G failure on the oil ways? I'm doing a compression test this week but I'm guessing this isn't a good sign for this engine? Also, out of curiousity how are the plug holes number? Does 1 start at the cambelt end of the engine and 4 towards the distributor?

Cheers for any advice

Steve

Anthony

It's back to front on PSA engines - #1 is the flywheel (distributor) end, and #4 is the cambelt end.

Unlikely to be HG related if it's oil in the cylinders - alloy block XU's seem to always fail either cylinder to waterway or between adjacent cylinders.

Usually smoke will give you a clue where the issue lies - smoke mostly at idle and particularly overrun (changing gear etc) points at stem seals, whereas smoke under acceleration/load points at rings.

DamirGTI

In the past I've replaced the distributor cap as it had a habit of burning out one of the cap ports,

Steve

This sounds like too much current feed from the coil . Normally , this shouldn't happened in good working order ignition system . The point terminals inside the cap do wears off , but by points deterioration .. not burning them off .

Cod be coil wired up backwards , or coil/ignition amp faulty ..

D

CaptainP

Thanks for the advice guys - compression test gives results.

1. 175
  2. 175
  3. 140
  4. 160

I've changed the ignition amp this evening and the car does seem smoother, we'll see how it go's.....