• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
onur205gti

N/a 8V Max Performance...?

onur205gti

Race Car

nickname : Drill 205

car parts :

mi16 block

cylinder head oem 8v

306 gti 86mm pistons

605 2.1 diesel crank

143mm arms 1.9 gti

custom shirt

pipercams kits

ss headers

45mm itb

650cc injektörs

microsquart v2

short shift

aem wideband

PPR MOTOSPORT cylinder head raceport-oversize valve

engine compression 13.8cr

e85 fuel

How do you think the engine life and power?

Vili

192hp/235Nm, but won't start because OE starter doesn't have enough power.

• Like 2

onur205gti

colombo 286 cams 11.6 cr dyno

race port not

itb not

310cc injektör

528252_575323742485587_653701729_n.jpg​

Edited by onur205gti
  • Like 1

onur205gti

192hp/235Nm, but won't start because OE starter doesn't have enough power.

Do you have an example made ​​of car?

dcc

there is a 200+ bhp 8v which revs to 10k somewhere on youtube - pretty sure henry yorke took the video so he might know.,

onur205gti

there is a 200+ bhp 8v which revs to 10k somewhere on youtube - pretty sure henry yorke took the video so he might know.,

yes watched..

target: 200+bhp 800kg I think race is used for

2.gear 60 kmh start 200kmh finish

Edited by onur205gti

rallyeash

Mass engine for sale on pistons heads 200+ na 8v.

dcc

Iirc its a 1.8 too

onur205gti

Mass engine for sale on pistons heads 200+ na 8v.

do not skimp on thank you..

Iirc its a 1.8 too

Do you speak more descriptive?

I know a foreign language at

petert

The spring tester looks like bathroom scales! I guess it could work.

onur205gti

The spring tester looks like bathroom scales! I guess it could work.

PPR Engineering 1.8T Intake Manifold

before/after flow bench & dyno test...

28psi boost → 470hp (oem Aug intake manifold)

25psi boost → 500hp (PPR Engineering Aug intake manifold)

531717_513781801993211_1483223304_n.jpg​

s2000 before after.. dyno dynomics

481463_481719941866064_83940651_n.jpg​

onur205gti

ppr motosport 205 gti race port

1150401_642641379087156_116840595_n.jpg​

• Like 2

allanallen

ppr motosport 205 gti race port

1150401_642641379087156_116840595_n.jpgâ

Christ! There's nothing left

DamirGTI

... and the key area for making 8v head flow better isn't the inlet port entry at all (most of the heads actually) , if this is all the work that's been done to it it'll be worse than OE . It will "flow" better , but only when measuring flow without valve fitted .

Simply put , bigger isn't better , in the case of this head certainly not.. and i know that port guys like to "modify" heads like this - it's the easiest area to tackle , and it has looks , which always picks up the owner excitement upon inspection .

It's a tricky head to port/flow properly .

D

jack-da-stripper

what was the spec and final output of the engine ? very keen to know because I have a massive soft spot for the old 8v's :)

must admit was very surprised to see standard inlet mani on that head lol :P

Edited by jack-da-stripper

dcc

Damir I am a bit intrigued by your comments. Why would Dave Baker (he who shall not be named) (aka puma racing) have spent such a vast amount of his time drilling the benefits of the larger valves? He also had back to back print outs to prove it.

allanallen

Damir is on about the huge port entry, he's not even mentioned valve sizes

welshpug

have a look at Wardy18's engine.

DamirGTI

Myself , i'm on the route that this head has big enough valves as a stock item , with good head porting job it simply doesn't need bigger valves .. some of the reputable engine builders also proved this by actually testing the head on a FB with/without bigger valves and found that it doesn't gain noticeable improvement in head flow capabilities . Plus you need to reshape the port throats after fitting bigger valves , cos it wont work just by fitting bigger valves themselves .

Reshaping/modifying stock valves is better idea , and making good angle seats .

As for Mr. DB experiences , i'd rather not comment about .

Each to his own i guess .

D

jack-da-stripper

have a look at Wardy18's engine.

just watched a few videos on youtube :o < was the facial expression lol , that thing is insane

GLPoomobile

Damir I am a bit intrigued by your comments. Why would Dave Baker (he who shall not be named) (aka puma racing) have spent such a vast amount of his time drilling the benefits of the larger valves? He also had back to back print outs to prove it.

I think if you were to briefly summarise what DB liked to preach, it was that in his opinion bigger valves were better on the flowbench. He seemed to be all about the mathematics and the theory rather than the real world results. Lots of hot air (tee hee) but where were all these world beating engines that he claimed to have built? Of course, were he here now to speak for himself, he would have been furious at me making such a statement, for he did not like to be misquoted or misunderstood.

On the flipside, Sandy has spoken about bigger valves and pointed out that it's not all about outright flow on the flow bench. There's gas velocity (or something along those lines) to consider too. But then what would Sandy know? It's not like he's actually built any decent race engines, has he? LOL

Edited by GLPoomobile

DamirGTI

In my opinion , valve size certainly isn't the issue which "robs performance" of the 1.6/1.9 8v heads , nor does it needs larger ones to breathe better . Especially for road car which needs good low/mid range performance ideally without dead spots in rev range , if its an race car/engine , larger valves would be of benefit if done properly (ported head , valve pockets reshaped , unmasking the valves , cam profile etc.) and it'll mostly start to work/feel on the upper rev range till the limiter thus the mid/low rev range will suffer a certain degree . (do correct me if i'm wrong)

Valves (inlet) , as i've researched (i do not have an FB) "penny on a stick" shape works best for this head , PTS and Longman's aside from standard ones .

The main concern to me points out to the quadrant inlet port shape (hence XU10 flows better) , which then blends into a throat . Air as such doesn't like changes of the port wall shapes , quadrant port shape increases surface drag and in the end causes turbulence's which are common issue inside this heads and that upsets flow and air/fuel mixture quality badly . So , the approach in modifying this head is in such way to minimize turbulence by reshaping the insides of the ports/valve pockets aiming to create as much swirl as possible .

Interesting thing is that the head gains flow quite a bit when an deflector is positioned on the port floor - will try material adding next time and see what happens .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

petert

Yes, big, open ports are certainly not consistent with current trends in high velocity ports. It would be interesting to see some port flow charts @ 28in.