• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PiperCub

Non-Starting '91 205 Gti 1.6

PiperCub

Bit of a non-starting problem on my '91 205GTi 1.6. Looking for a starting point, car was last run about two weeks ago - absolutely fine, no issues at all, the other day no go.

Engine spins over normally but doesn't even try to start. Been on nights (12hr) and not had much sleep or time to attack the problem but so far:

No HT at all on either plug leads or king lead - used timing light, not a single flash.

12V on pin 1 of coil present
Immobiliser proved OK (had this tested by installer yesterday) to me
No fuses etc. gone
All connections OK, car hasn't been touched since last run.

Can anyone give me the best places to start? The Haynes wiring diagram is pretty poor, I'd like to check the coil (even though they rarely fail completely).
The four connections to it aren't shown in the diagram, amyone know which is which so I can test it? (1 is ign live).

Are there any components on the ignition or EM side of these cars that are known to fail and cause non-starting?

Help appreciated - lack of sleep not helping my thought-process at the moment!
Cheers

jackherer

If you look at the distributor you'll see some black wiring coming off of it with a yellow plug, this often breaks down and then there is no pulse to the ignition amp.

welshpug

Nothing wrong with the Haynes diagram, shows all you need!

check the continuity of the wires from dizzy to ignition amp, these are known to break down on the join into the dizzy end plug, also the pins can become dislodged.

I did fix a similar issue that a mate (DCC :P) had spent weeks trying to resolve, all three pins in the black 3 pin plug from lead to amp had pushed back, had it running in 5 mins from starting to look at it :P

without this signal, the tachymetric relay wont trigger the fuel pump, the ecu wont fire the injectors, nor will you have spark, its essentially the mechanical TDC sensor of the dizzy world.

PiperCub

That sounds like a good place to start as after cranking for a bit I did notice I couldn't smell any fuel at the tailpipe which I would expect to do. I'm willing to bet the plugs would be dry too which would back this up.

Thanks will give this a go.