• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allanallen

8V Road Rally Clutch

allanallen

I have standard clutch in my 1600 road rally car and i don't get any of what you say you get in your car. But i do have up-rated engine mountings as the old ones were shot. But i don't think that it could be mechanical, just a the left foot. I also had a simpler thing with my first event a few years ago which put me out of the event, but i was told to move my seat an inch or two back.

How hard do you launch it, what size and compound tyres do you use, what is your diff set to and what spec gearbox are you running?

Are you implying I ride the clutch?

A standard clutch in mine would overheat after less than 5 stop giveways. A standard 1600 on road tyres would probably go all night without issue.

Edited by allanallen

allanallen

And just to finish the thread off.....

I picked up a Borg and beck Ap sprung 4 paddle clutch and cover, NOS on eBay for about £120!

It's transformed the car, I can kick it's head in all night and it never offers to skip :) when it's cold and you're moving off slowly it judders a little but other than that it's brilliant.

welshpug

Interesting, sprung centre?

Didn't know they did anything other than bog standard motorfactor stuff.

allanallen

It's an Ap clutch, old stock from when Borg and beck owned Ap.

Whys the sprung centre interesting? Most paddles are available solid or sprung!?

welshpug

wasn't saying that part specifically was interesting, just that it was a borg and beck unit.

allanallen

Ahh, I see.

Yeah Borg and beck used to produce Ap clutches, I think..... brembo bought Ap so Borg and beck stopped doing them. My clutch is old stock from the year 2000 ish I believe.

Anyway, it's good and it was dirt cheap :)

• Like 1

Rippthrough

Sounds like it was just a heat issue then? Could probably have kept the stock pressure plate but if it's not too heavy it doesn't matter.

allanallen

Difficult to say for sure but it seemed like it was heat.

I toyed with keeping the standard pressure plate but when mine came up so cheap it was rude not to! Glad I had the full kit now though, can't recommend it highly enough