• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allanallen

8V Road Rally Clutch

allanallen

Hi, the standard clutch in my road rally car just isn't up to the job of the constant launches. I'm fairly gentle with the clutch and tend not to slip it too much or anything but it'll start slipping after 2-3 launches over say a 5 minute section. It's only a standard 1900 engine although the cars quite heavy and it runs soft tall profile tyres.

I don't think a standard mi clutch would be up to the job so I'm looking at paddle clutches. I'm on a budget as ever so I'm looking at either an OMP 4 paddle sprung kit or maybe using a helix 4paddle sprung friction plate in a standard new Valeo cover I've got.

Has anyone got any experience of using either of these clutches? Is it a no no to use a paddle with the standard cover? I realise the torque handling capabilities will be decreased but should it do what I want?

Cheers, Allan

welshpug

Try a new clutch, i know its only a 1600, but a tarmac stage car a have serviced for for several years on a standard o.e unit.

Inspected last year when the box was off playing with gear ratios and it was like new.

Cant see why an mi unit wouldnt cope better, designed for a much heavier car with more torque.

Edited by welshpug

allanallen

It is a new clutch, done about 1000 miles and it's not covered in oil from a leaking crank seal or dizzy. it's always slipped when warm and pushed. This is a road rally car rather than a stage car, over a 10 mile section it may do 20+ launches.

I'm all for leaving standard clutches in but in this case I'm not prepared to do it, a slipping clutch 2 miles into a 150 mile rally is no fun at all.

Tom Fenton

Buy the matched paddle and cover and be done with it. Just bear in mind how pissed off you will be if you just put a plate in then it slips again?

welshpug

and bear in mind it will be a c*nt to drive, but I guess you're kicking its head in all night so that's not much concern :lol:

I'd be concerned there was an issue with either the replacement clutch unit or the flywheel if it slipped that badly though.

allanallen

Buy the matched paddle and cover and be done with it. Just bear in mind how pissed off you will be if you just put a plate in then it slips again?

Well that's what I'm thinking but I'm half expecting someone to tell me OMP paddles are s*it and that I need to double my money and get a helix!?

welshpug

I've driven a mates car quite a lot with a helix on a bodied gti6 engine, top be fair to it, it did the job, I just hated it :lol:

allanallen

I don't think there's an issue with the clutch, it's just not up to it, I'm asking alot of it in all fairness. I can drive round a switch like, juddery clutch, I can't however drive round a badly slipping clutch very well.

welshpug

The helix unit did not judder :) just gave you whiplash, or stalled.

marksorrento205

The Mi clutch I have in mine is less than 2k old and judders like fook towards the later stages of an event. Fine on the road, but like you say when launching it every five mins it starts to piss me off. I am going for a helix when the new donk is build and fitted :)

allanallen

New donk? What you got crafty swine? Slippy diff too?

marksorrento205

Lots of parts and no time to put them together - thats what I have :lol:

Diff is coming but will be later on in the year now. The mrs has put stop to that with a new kitchen :( I did ask if we could put it on hold whilst i buy one and you can guess the response :lol:

Tom Fenton

Don't you need to fit anti-spew to the navigator before anything else?

• Like 2

allanallen

I did ask if we could put it on hold whilst i buy one and you can guess the response :lol:

Err, i'd imagine she said something like...'Of course dear that's fine! I've just put the kettle on,would you like a blow job whilst we wait for it to boil?' :P
  • Like 1

marksorrento205

Err, i'd imagine she said something like...'Of course dear that's fine! I've just put the kettle on,would you like a blow job whilst we wait for it to boil?' :P

You must have met her :lol:

m_attt

Ive got a paddle clutch in my 205 turbo that's used daily. dont see what the problem is. only slighty heavier than normal. other than that not had any issues.

Mad Scientist

I only need to be sick every ten miles because of the stench if fuel in the car! Getting a respirator for the next event!

Allan: helix do a paddle plate that will fit under a standard mi cover. It's what the super charged cars from lynx run with stupid amounts of torque.

I think the omp ones are s*ite!

welshpug

I . It's what the super charged cars from lynx run with stupid amounts of torque.

They run nowhere near most of the 8 valve turbo's!

Tom Fenton

From sitting in the car next to Al it isn't torque that is a problem, due to road rally regs every single give way junction requires you to come to a complete stop and then launch the car off down the road again emergency start style, it is this that is making the clutch slip, not torque transmission.

allanallen

I only need to be sick every ten miles because of the stench if fuel in the car! Getting a respirator for the next event!

Allan: helix do a paddle plate that will fit under a standard mi cover. It's what the super charged cars from lynx run with stupid amounts of torque.

I think the omp ones are s*ite!

You 'think' or they are, sick note?

I was trying to avoid using an 215mm clutch as it's got a nice 1600 flywheel fitted

allanallen

From sitting in the car next to Al it isn't torque that is a problem, due to road rally regs every single give way junction requires you to come to a complete stop and then launch the car off down the road again emergency start style, it is this that is making the clutch slip, not torque transmission.

True that!

No doubt the shorter box will help but I'm still not risking it with a standard clutch!

Mad Scientist

Totally understand what the problem is Tom. I just figured, probably incorrectly, that if a clutch stands up to high torque it would have less trouble with the constant abuse on a rally.

Tom Fenton

I think its heat that is the problem, the cerametallic material on the paddles should cope better with this.

Torque certainly isn't the problem when you have an asthmatic shoddy old 8v with no windmill mounted up front......

shawsburypug

I have standard clutch in my 1600 road rally car and i don't get any of what you say you get in your car. But i do have up-rated engine mountings as the old ones were shot. But i don't think that it could be mechanical, just a the left foot. I also had a simpler thing with my first event a few years ago which put me out of the event, but i was told to move my seat an inch or two back.