• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
amusingadam

Fuel Pipe

amusingadam

Can I use 8mm copper pipe instead of the original 7mm internal measurements of course thanks guys

chipstick

The original steel lines are 7mm OD aren't they? Going on the rubber hose being 7mm ID.

Davy

You can indeed, that diameter will work fine.

I'm not sure about the copper tho and how the effects of work hardening (due to vibrations) could lead to fracturing. I considered using copper as I believed it would have been ok when well clamped, but after reading lots of opinions I chickened out and spent a few quid more on Kunifer piping (aka Cupronickel or Copper Nickel).

chipstick

The steel lines from Peugeot are reasonably priced, so I would personally replace it with that as it will last another 20 odd years.

chipstick

157926 is the part number for standard metal lines. A shade over £21 apparently according to a recent post. 1 'bag' does both the feed and return.

Miles

Read up on Modern fuels and what it does to copper, so one reason not to use it

jord294

and for anyone interested in the 7mm rubber hose, it's about £40 for 5 metres

Davy

Read up on Modern fuels and what it does to copper, so one reason not to use it

I questioned the use of copper and kunifer piping a while back and cant remember finding any concerns other than work hardening.

The one thing that kept coming up was the addition of ethanol in fuel now, and the effects it has on all materials, not just copper. Have I missed anything about copper or kunifer suffering more from the effects of ethanal than steel does? :(

I also remember reading that apparently, most super unleaded will not have had ethanol added... Worth a switch to super to avoid concern?

..http://www.groups.tr-register.co.uk/wessex/ethanol-update.html

Edited by Davy

amusingadam

I'm happy to use copper pipe as my old mini ran this for more than 3 years. I gave Peugeot that part number and it came back as rubber fuel hose strange ??. I have ordered 8mm off off my plumber mate should get it for Wednesday but in the mean time o have ran 8mm rubber from the tank all the way up. Thanks for the help guys

allye

A few people grumbled when I used fuel length rubber hoses, however if Peugeot consider it ok for every 205 TU they ever made I'm sure the rubber hose I used which is loads thicker would be quite ok and I had no problems with it at all. Also got shot of the horrible plastic clips and used stainless P clips.

Image040.jpg

Ryan

I did mine with 8mm copper in 2009 and it still looks like new inside. Ethanol in fuel will eventually affect them, but that means they'll only last 20 years rather than 30, not that they'll dissolve overnight.

Ryan

I'd be more concerned about the rubber pipe. The Peugeot stuff probably isn't J30 R9 rated, which is the correct grade for modern ethanol fuels.

welshpug

Depends if its old stock doesn't it, my 205 still has its original steel lines, and original flexi pipes, of which most are plastic lined apart from the two from tank IIRC.

Ryan

I forgot about the plastic liner. I guess it would depend what sort of plastic it is, although fuel-resistant plastic does tend to be pretty good at dealing with exotic chemicals.

amusingadam

Just planning the pipe route and came across the olive on the feed to the filter can I just cut this out and basically run the pipe clean up the bulk head to the filter????