• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lee3022

Best Fuel Pump For 205 Mi16 On Twin 45's

Lee3022

My 205 seems to misfire going round a right hand bend, seems the in tank fuel pump is the original unit and seems to not be up to much, with it having carbs will a replacement oe pump do?

It is a road legal track car so fully caged etc but has no firewall so not sure about fitment of other pumps and whether I'd need a swirl pot etc, want to do this right away so any advice would be great

Thanks in advance, lee

Edited by Lee3022

Matt Holley

When I ran carbs on mine I got rid of the standard pump replacing it with a pipe to the bottom of the tank then fitted a facet red top in the engine bay with one pressure reg.

I had no issues on track running it like that.

Lee3022

When I ran carbs on mine I got rid of the standard pump replacing it with a pipe to the bottom of the tank then fitted a facet red top in the engine bay with one pressure reg.

I had no issues on track running it like that.

Cheers mate, been looking at them but its where to fit it? Like I said no fire wall and no way of fitting one either, isn't the red top 200bhp plus? I doubt mines much over 160

welshpug

it sure as hell should be over 160, they're 160 as standard!

Lee3022

it sure as hell should be over 160, they're 160 as standard!

Thought they were 150, no idea to be honest on the 45's

Matt Holley

Not sure what you mean by firewall? If you mean inside, my way doesn't put fuel lines or pumps inside the cabin.

This is a pic of mine fitted.

newsuspension006.jpg

B11 BOB

Lee

I had a Facet red top competition fuel pump on mine when running carbs like what Mat says you will need to fit a hose that goes to the tank.I fitted my fuel pump exactly where Mat did and never encountered any issue.If you do go for a Facet fuel pump be aware it makes a constant ticking sound.

jackherer

I'm never comfortable seeing fuel filters or pumps in that position. After my friend crashed his 205 into a tyre wall at Brands everything forward of the strut was quite neatly moulded around the wheel/tyre, luckily he hit the passenger side so his fuel system was intact but if it had been the other side it would have been a bit of a mess.

post-3-0-18851300-1327863129_thumb.jpg
post-3-0-94564500-1327863052_thumb.jpg

Lee3022

Matt that's great thanks, I had thought about fitting it there but as it is a track car I would be worried about the position as that is exactly where it would take an impact as per the car in the pics, imagine if that had been the other wing, fuel lines, hot engine etc.

By firewall I mean if the pump is fitted in the rear there's nothing between it and me and nowhere to put a fire wall in really so if it did take a rear end shunt and fire resulted the firewall would at least give me time to get out, if it wasn't a hatch it would be no probs.

The front does look a better place for it at the min, nice to see what others have done, I'm not bothered about the clicking, cars noisy anyway I doubt I'd hear it

Matt Holley

If you are worried about it I have seen them fitted to the bulk head on the passenger side,

Lee3022

Will have a look Matt, see how much space I have, was going to fit the filter king with the pump though also so unless it goes where the old filter is I will be struggling for space, thanks fo the info

mfield

Google carter 4070 fuel pump, on my mobile and have on idea how to do links.

kirkas4

fitted a facet red top to mine as well, it was under the car but i moved to it to engine bay.... but thinking its up side down now.... would attach a photo but dont know how

Lee3022

Yes reading up on them I think they have to be a certain way up, I maybe wrong but that's what I've read into it, doubt it will stop working just shorten the life of it