• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Maccer

Is This Time For A New Downpipe?

Maccer

I was repairing a cracked manifold this weekend and noticed the split in the downpipe has it's own extra split!

20130721_134458_zps57a2a32c.jpg

I know this middle section within the pipe is important for the power, am I losing much power here if I leave it fitted? (Std 1.6 engine)

welshpug

certainly is, in the not too distant future that section will start blocking the downpipe as it fails further.

depending how far down it has cracked you might be able to clean it up and have it welded.

Maccer

Having just read the Decent Replacement Standard Exhaust System thread and seen the stealer price for an original part, I think I'll see about welding it up! It's only gone down about 1.5", about as far as it looks in the photo. Got to be worth a go before spending that kind of money.

welshpug

you might be able to get a custom pipe made similar to what I recall was a scorpion downpipe, probably end up less than buying an o.e pipe!

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SCORPION-TWIN-DOWNPIPE-205-GTi-309-with-Lambda-race-rally-mi16-dimma-peugeot-xs-/00/s/MTAyM1g3NjQ=/z/L5kAAOxyY3ZRo~Gh/$T2eC16JHJHwE9n8igtftBRo+GhSUBQ~~60_12.JPG

Edited by welshpug

Davy

If the pipe is sound elsewhere then thats definately worth a clean up, bit of straightening and a run of weld in my opinion, especially since it's so hard to get one with the split now. Even if you dont have access to a welder you can still spend a bit of time yourself with a file or some course sand paper cleaning the edges up, then a decent set of long nose vice grips or even a very large srew driver or piece of bar could be used to lever the web back to centre. Then you just get a someone to weld it for you...

..if you do decide to bin it, then I'll happily pay scrap value plus postage to have a go! :ph34r:

Maccer

I took the whole exhaust back off at the weekend and had a proper look, it had only gone down about 2" into the pipe, although it had bent up quite far into the top chamber which must have been restricting those two cylinders a bit. I jimmied it back with a crowbar and knocked another bit of tin down there to have something to weld to.

20130803_164612s_zpse49ddc85.jpg

Then I did a lovely bit of dog sh!t arc welding to weld it back up!

20130803_181145s_zps683acfd8.jpg

20130803_181140s_zpsedc5efad.jpg

Not pretty but it'll be better than it was I'm sure.

Davy

..Your welding at an awkward angle down the sides of the web so I would be ashamed of that!

Was well worth saving, and should breath a bit easier now!

TT205

so I would be ashamed of that!

Bit harsh mate

Davy

Oh s?@t!!... Apologies! ... stick a 'nt after 'would' there please! Sorry about that! :blush:

...I know some people aren't afraid to voice there opinions but I wouldn't (check spelling!) come out with something like that!..

Thanks for flagging that up and apologies again Maccer!

Edited by Davy