• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Edp

Nice Little Find - 309 Mi16

joshpadfield

That is a beautiful 309!

• Like 1

nveeate

Any updates? Really like this car!

lewis205cti

So jealous and its a white 3 door. Enjoy it mate.

Edp

Just to add to this thread of what has happened with the 309 since I got her home. I gave her a full service, brakes, oil, filter the lot and booked her in for an mot.

photo8_zps05ca386a.jpg

Unfortunately she failed. The sills at the rear by the petrol tank were badly corroded and needed some attention to get her through the mot. There was also a small petrol leak from one of the rear pipes which was an easy fix.

photo_zps46a5f80c.jpg

I've since replaced the alternator and belt as the old belt simply destroyed itself! I've also replaced the four fog and driving lights in the from valence as they were all cracked. Luckily amongst the various spare parts that came with the car the previous owner had managed to buy 5 spare lights so what a result!

photo5_zps0b0dfdd4.jpg

I've also been replacing various broken interior parts. It was missing loads of parts too so I've been trawling the internet and I'm nearly there! Some new mats are next on the list...

photo7_zpsfec7de2f.jpg

photo6_zps44e1e452.jpg

photo3_zps3fd68432.jpg

photo2_zpsb624fa59.jpg

photo9_zps2b9ddfa2.jpg

photo10_zpsfa48284e.jpg

I have to say I love driving this car, it absolutely grips the road. Its a shame they never caught on because they are fantastic. With the mi16 it pulls like a train and it feels like you don't need to brake for corners. Once on the road after the mot we took it to Dartmouth (9 hour round trip) and she drove without fault.

• Like 1

artois7

That is absolutely gorgeous.

• Like 1

Edp

Cheers Dan, it certainly gets plenty of attention. I love it and will be restoring it slowly when I can :)

Lee3022

Hope you changed the cambelt, nice find

Tallguy_2

Mate, that is the nuts, what a find

• Like 1

Edp

Hope you changed the cambelt, nice find

Nah, I'm going to be dropping another slightly fettled mi16 in at some point.

kyepan

Great find!

Belt takes a few hours to change if it's on standard pulleys, well worth it IMHO, especially as it has a papered longman engine in it!!

that's worth money with straight valves.

Edp

Great find!

Belt takes a few hours to change if it's on standard pulleys, well worth it IMHO, especially as it has a papered longman engine in it!!

that's worth money with straight valves.

Shame its showing rather low oil pressure and the stop light comes on even with a new oil pump and oil pressure sender :(

hoodygoodwood

Hi , the 309 GTI looks great , bring it along to Pugfest and park it with all the other 309's . Have spotted a couple of non standard things on the car that I am curious about . I saw the switches on the gearlever surround and wondered what they were but then I saw the door bins/pockets and realised that they are the relocated electric window switches .

Could you post a picture of the door cards , what car are they from ?

Edp

Hi , the 309 GTI looks great , bring it along to Pugfest and park it with all the other 309's . Have spotted a couple of non standard things on the car that I am curious about . I saw the switches on the gearlever surround and wondered what they were but then I saw the door bins/pockets and realised that they are the relocated electric window switches .

Could you post a picture of the door cards , what car are they from ?

Thanks for your comments.

It depends when it is, we are expecting our first child soon so car shows might have to wait until next year :(

I have a receipt in the vast history for this car relating to the door bins. At some point the previous owner, who I bought the car from had speaker bins made and installed in both the front and rear door cards. They did a great job and I didn't even notice until I looked at other 309s. The door cards are original and have been cut to suit.

Edited by Edp

hoodygoodwood

Pugfest is at Prescott hillclimb on the 13th July , I am helping to get all the 309 guys together - we have 10 on my list at the moment . If you cannot make that date try to make it to Santa Pod on Sunday the 22nd of July for the Retro show , I have a pitch organised for Peugeots and have 15 cars coming already .

Good luck with the ongoing works .

• Like 1

309jazzpanda

Ah its good to see a 309 not being torn down for bits, enjoy it they really are cracking cars.

I'm a very jealous man

• Like 1

Edp

I love it! i'd never break it.

It's amazing how many people stop/look/ask/mention how you never see them around anymore and how much they enjoyed their one. I had a delivery driver pull up get out and ask if I wanted to sell it. He might have wanted it for its rear beam but he seemed genuinely interested!

309jazzpanda

My neighbor has to look at mine on axle stands all day ha ha. I'm even more jealous that the rear bumper is actually attached and not rotten off at the sides. You lucky so and so.

The amount of times I have come close to selling my 309 but its worth keeping just for the rare factor

Edited by 309jazzpanda
  • Like 1

Edp

Between you and me the drivers side one is holding on by the smallest part of rusty metal! The passenger side is fairing better but both will need attention soon. My main concern is in the front arches where the mud flaps attach. I had to remove the drivers mudflap when I bought the car because the passenger one must have previously fallen off. The captive nut and bolt just pulled straight out and the metal feels extremely soft around that area. I think I will need to strip it all back, make up some sheet metal plates and weld them in. I suppose I could get a captive nut back in the right place then too.

Other than that the rust isn't too bad part from the sills which I mentioned are now sorted. Under the petrol tank was clean and apart from some surface rust under the bonnet its not as bad as others I've seen or read about.

I won't sell it. I'd rather use it for a bit, tart her up and then find somewhere to stick it away for a few years. Apparently there are only 67 taxed and on the road. I know theres plenty tucked away but 67?!

309jazzpanda

Yeah I had the same problem bloody mudflaps, 67? That is low to think I.ve only driven my 309 once in 5 years. I feel ashamed

• Like 1