• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Edp

Nice Little Find - 309 Mi16

Edp

Had a phone call the other day from a guy I do electrical jobs for.

He said a guy he drank with was trying to shift some old cars from his drive so he could get a valuation on his property.

He mentioned he had a couple of old peugeots and my ears pricked up. I asked him to let me know what he had and I was hoping for a 205 1FM :P

Anyway, my mate said he would pop round and report back his findings. He rang me the next day and told me he had a 505 and a 309. He said the 309 was a GTi and in a bit of state but suggested I went over and took a proper look as he was none the wiser.

Well I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived. Although filthy, the car was very straight. A couple of small blemishes and a little bit of rust around the top of the windscreen. It had been parked up for over 2 years in the same spot and not MOT'd since 2006. Now I'm not normally a 309 fan but I had to try and save it.

IMG_3636_zps58ab6b73.jpg

IMG_3638_zps81856dcf.jpg

I asked about the history and the chap said his son owned it and I had best speak to him on the phone. The son is a peugeot mechanic at robins and day peugeot in walton on thames. He bought the car new in 1991 and he's had it ever since. It has a loads of history and as you expect all OE peugeot parts used. He said the boot is full of spare parts including a spoiler in its original GTI16 box. I asked him if the car would start and said the fuel pipes need replacing but "since the engine was rebuilt by Richard Longman in 2000 it should be fine", pardon I said Richard Longman??? "yeah its a rebuilt Mi16 under the bonnet hasn't my dad shown you? i've got the paper too if you want it." I was certainly interested in it now :lol:

3photo_zps04b09605.jpg

So the long and the short of it is I paid him £650 for a 1 owner from new, rebuilt Longman Mi16, with 97k on the clock. She's certainly not a minter (yet) but its a good shell with some great history. Once back at home I went to task with the pressure washer and was pleasantly surprised how the bodywork came up. I was melting by this point and it was beer o'clock. Its missing a few internal parts so if anyone has any 309 parts let me know.

IMG_3645_zps9b5e21e3.jpg

IMG_3642_zpsb357ab8c.jpg

IMG_3641_zps96af4486.jpg

Jobs to do include a full service, replace the fuel lines. New tyres all round, new badges and reg plates and sort out the internal parts. Then MOT and see what happens!

• Like 4

Kezzer30

Looks an absolute beauty tbh bud , cracking find , get a project thread up and show us your progress :)

tdr_1976

Cracking find. I've got a massive soft spot for the 309 GTi, especially in white :D

calvinhorse

Welcome to The Gutter Club B)

Looks mint, is underneath as good?

welshpug

but what about the 505? :o

:P

chipstick

Yeah! Enough of that - the 505 got my attention!

AlexRS2782

Very nice find - would have been rude not to try & save it really :)

dale205mills

I no if I came across one like that I would keep hold of it, they are in low numbers now and will go up in value, nice to see some one selling something at a sensible price.

jord294

I read this and went straight outside to see if I still had a very good set of pre-formed fuel lines.

Sadly I must of got rid. Sorry.

Nice project. Well done

• Like 1

Kezzer30

This thread has made me want one very much and already discussing with the mrs to see if we can get one :) haha however with non on ebay or auto trader its not going to be easy lmao

allye

Beauty! I have a minty mint 309 GTI steering wheel if you are interested.

Anulfo

good work mate!!!................Apparently 505's are meant to be 'retro cool' nowadays? :P

nveeate

Nice project! What are the chances of it being a straight and 1 owner car?!

allanallen

Argh! Tow bar!

Nice find though :)

Edited by allanallen

Davy

Cant see the pictures at the minute but sounds exciting! Nice find alright!

I think 'stuart' on here had a mint set of 309 front seats for sale recently if your interested.

Good luck with the tidy up.

Daviewonder

So what's the plan, rip out its suspension and engine and scrap the rest?

:P

• Like 3

S@m

Just a lil envious here :wub:

Edp

Cheers guys, it seems pretty solid underneath.

I'm away on holiday shortly so progress will be delayed but I'll come back with whats happening shortly.

505 chaps, really, its a shed on wheels!

deathbringer929

Argh! Tow bar!

and whats wrong with a bar on a gti al? they love em..

• Like 1

pug_ham

Very nice find, they are still out there its just pure luck finding them.

Argh! Tow bar!

& sunroof. :(

g

24seven

Very nice find! I still miss mine. :(

welshpug

can't recall the last time I saw a non sunroof 309 gti, other than a phase 1 IIRC.

Edp

I quite like the sun-roof. I miss it in my 205 on warm days so its nice to to have a least one car with a sliding sun-roof.

oh and the tow bar will do one at some stage :)

Edited by Edp

Henry Yorke

.& sunroof. :(

g

can't recall the last time I saw a non sunroof 309 gti, other than a phase 1 IIRC.

You can't get a standard Phase 2 GTI without a sunroof. Works 309 GTI16s were specially made and Darren Spooner phase 2'd the back of his Phase 1 and sprayed it Winchester

pug_ham

You can't get a standard Phase 2 GTI without a sunroof.

Much like the later phase 1.5 / 2 205 GTI's, you had to tick the options box for a no sunroof car, or so I believe. :unsure:

g