• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mad Professor

Standard Clutch Pressure Plate Force

Mad Professor

Good day all.

I am looking for what I thought was a simple pice of info, but it seems I can find out anywhere.

All I want to know is what is the force needed to fully depress the clutch pressure plate.

Or maybe a better way of wording it, what's the clutch pressure plate finger tension.

I am looking for data on the standard GTi 200mm and Mi16 215mm clutches.

Thanks for your time.

welshpug

not sure you will find that specifically, but you might find the torque limit which is in essence the result of the clamping forces I think, Valeo may list it somewhere.

RossD

The 200mm XU9JA cover plate code is 200CP4250 - So 425 Newtons.

The 2.0 XU10J4Z MI16 is 215DT5250, so 525 Newtons (Pull Clutch)

The 1.9 XU9J4 MI16 is 215CP4850, so 485 Newtons (Push type clutch)

The Valeo codes work like this: 215 would be the plate diameter, CP is the clucth type (CP is usually a push type clutch, DT is a pull type) and lastly 4850 - This is the clampng force of the pressure plate in Newtons x 10.

Its only Valeo clutches that you can find the pressure rating on the plates from their part codes mind you! LuK etc dont publish this data.

These codes used to be in ServiceBox too, but they took them out recently. You can still find them in the archived 'old' parts catalogues online, i.e miami stu's.

WP - Bit more than the clamp force to work out the torque limit on a clutch, you have to take into account the effective radius of the friction material, Friction coefficient of the friction material amongst other factors. However, it is a part in it!

Edited by RossD