• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rikky

Electric Window Retrofit Into 1.6 Shell

rikky

Whilst I've got my shell in bits, and considering I'm building it back to 1.9 spec with the GTi6 engine, I'm going to chuck the electric window setup in there.

It's originally a J plate 1.6 GTi, with manual keep-fit windows.

What do I need to do this? At a guess, I'll need a loom for each door, and then another loom which connects both doors together and to the fusebox? Plus relay(s)?

Then obviously all the gubbins inside the doors themselves, which I'm not too worried about just yet - but mechanism, motor, switches, door pockets, etc? Will the actual windows be reusable?

As said it's in a million bits already so all the wiring is accessible so I'd rather do it now than when I start putting the dash / doors back together at a later date

Advice / comments appreciated...

Edited by rikky

MikeC

Windows should work fine. Get a wiring loom out of a broken Gti. What year is you Gti, as the looms changed between Phase 1 and 2, and the later had a connector on the door pillar, and previous version had an Umbillical between door and chassis. The early ones connected directly into the fuse/relay board. You'll need the above listed items.

rikky

Mine's a 1990 with the round connectors between body and door like you find on the 306's.

Main problem is the complete lack of breakers yards with 205's in around here so chances of me finding anything is slim.

Are you saying get the full loom or just door looms or...?

Cheers

rikky

edit for above - it's a 1992, not a 1990!

Anthony

On a late car like yours, you should only need the door looms as the car body part of the loom is already there.

However, it's worth checking the looms already fitted, as given that it will have central locking as standard at that age, it's possible that it's got the electric window looms on one or both sides already (seems to be a bit random!)

Basically, you'll need:

• Two electric window mechanisms - one for each side (handed)
  • Two late electric window looms - one for each side (handed)
  • Two electric window switch holders - one for each side (handed)
  • Three electric window switches - two for the drivers, and one for the passengers side (not handed)
  • One electric window switch blank - for the passengers side (not handed)
  • Two Phase 2 black manual window winder blanking caps for the door cards (not handed)
Off the top of my head that'll do you - possibly a fuse and relay as well, but I can't remember if they're already present or not on the later cars.

Whilst it's apart, check the condition of the metal runners on the bottom of the window glass - some of these are in dreadful condition now and have crumbled away to nothing.

rikky

Excellent! I poked my head into the doors and can see a wiring loom in there with an unused plug but I'm guessing the other plug [used] is for the locking in each door

I think I'll whip everything out of the doors and see what looms I've got already then and go from there. Are the actual windows the same and can be reused?

Anthony

Windows themselves are identical.

If the electric window looms are there, there will be 1 (passengers) or 2 (drivers) 5 pin plugs at the bottom of the door about half way along where the switches would plug into, and a 2 pin plug probably somewhere above that that plugs into the window motor.

HERMAN

I have pair of electric window motors if there any use to you?

base-1

I just did this a couple of months ago to my '91 J 1.6, driver's side had a non-electric window loom and passenger side had an electric window loom in already. :rolleyes: Fuses etc were in place too

Edited by base-1

rikky

just bumping this back up as I've finally got round to pulling the doors apart to have a look at the wiring..

On the passenger side, tucked away were these 2 plugs:

doorplugs.jpg

Am I right to assume brown is for electric window motor, and grey is for the switch itself? I'm going with 'yes'

Then - my driver side door has the normal loom without any spare plugs whatsoever, so no scope for adding the switch and motor capability there. So I'm guessing it's new door loom time for that side only from an electric window breaker/scrapper. Mine's the later style (J plate) with the round multiplug like the 306's had.

Then going to the fusebox, I've noticed I've got 2 spare plugs - it's position X and position N in this diagram, kindly borrowed off here:

fusebox.jpg

Are these window related, and if so, is it for some form of link loom / internal loom which is to do with the electric windows? Everything is accounted for on mine, nothing unplugged and no spare plugs which could go there so can't see what they're for. Had a few issues re electrics so don't want to get the entire dash in a position where changing wiring is harder again

It's just so I know if I need an internal loom too, or if them plugs are for something like ABS / Aircon etc. Furthermore, my round multiplug on the dash side should be fine mating to a round multiplug from an electric window donor shouldn't they? E.g. I don't need to change all the internal loom over?

Any further advice appreciated before I start buying things!

Edited by rikky

Tom Fenton

Other way around for the plugs. 5 pin is for the switch.

rikky

Ah right yes my mistake, I see Ant said that above too, I presumed they were vice versa. So that's them accounted for OK, so just the driver side to get an electric window loom for.