• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JackTar

Cooling Problem - Thermostat Housing Area

JackTar

Hi

Imagine my joy at getting my 205Cti back on the road after a four year rebuild, and then after approx 350 miles, hearing from my wife over the phone that it was about to die under a cloud of hot steam emanating from the engine bay!

Unfortunately, it's not a hose that's gone but I have a leak from the right angled pipe situated just to the left of the thermostat housing (it normally has a plastic stop valve fitted to it). The AA man told me over the phone that the screw tap had literally blown off and was open to atmosphere. I was sure that this pipe was part of the thermostat housing and so, after listening to his advice over the phone, agreed that he should block the pipe in order to refill the system so my wife could drive the car home. He told me that, once blocked, I wouldn't be able to get what looks like some lead out again. Having looked at the pipe, it now appears that it is not a part of the thermostat housing but looks like it is part of the engine block itself!

Is this the case, and does anyone have any idea how best to fix this problem. Is it a massive job to sort this one out. I can only assume that it is some sort of pressure relief should the thermostat not operate correctly.

Help!!

Tom Fenton

Your description is rather jumbled, you will help us to help you by posting a picture of the problem area.

welshpug

sounds like the bleed port, but indeed a picture would assist greatly.

JackTar

It looks like a bleed port come to think of it but I'll post a pic onto the forum tomorrow.

Slo

Sounds like the brass pipe connector with the hex cap screw in the right angled side and pointing straight out side has the small hose that goes to the water bottle. It unscrews and you can replace it providing it isn't completely rotten away like many are by now.

Not 100% sure if they are the same as the ones on xu10 thermostats but the xu10 ones are about a tenner from your main stealer.

1336 K8

Probably smaller though for xu5/9 you'll have to find out as i cant find a part number on servicebox

Edited by Slo