• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
forbeslongden

205 1.9 Engine Issue.

forbeslongden

Thanks for looking at the car, you've certainly taught me a few things about the engines! Great to know there are 205 experts out there!

I think I've come to terms with the fact I should sell the car, I'm not really going to be able to get it to the standard it should be in plus the STDT is so damn reliable versus how mixed bag the GTI is.

DanteICE

Although I'd agree that the diesel is less faff, I'd say once you get your head around everything and put a bit of cash into the items that fail and cause issues (no more than a couple of hundred quid) it'll be a sound GTI for a good few years. And it won't be a diesel!

TBH my car has loads of issues, some worse than others, some a little scary (waywardness at certain speeds where it feels like it rolls in and out of grip during turning), but I finish work at the end of the month and intend to fix areas of wiring, which cause the starter click issues, the water temp sensor, new (albeit second hand and refurbished) throttle body, remove the dizzy and get it sent away to be refurbished, fix the small oil leak from the cam seal while I'm at it, remove and clean the SAD.

But the car runs and works and every weekend I fix something else and it gets better and better. And if you do the fixes to a high standard you know it'll be good for ANOTHER 20 years or so.

Geoff