• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ALEX

Tapping Sump Threads M8

ALEX

I'm fitting a Ally sump, now with spacer plate to my 1.6 Cti.

I've managed to get 20~M7 x 45mm Hex screws, but I can't seem to find any cap heads for the 4 recessed holes in the sump.

I'm Thinking of buying M8's and tapping the block, but is it easy enough from under the car?

Or can anyone tell me where I can find M7 Cap head screws about for the ally sump with a spacer?

cRaig

If you arent in a rush, Im fairly sure I have a pack of the peugeot M7 socket head cap sump bolts, for fitting my 8v aircon sump. I am currently working away from home, but can look them up before pugfest hopefully.

Craig

ALEX

If you arent in a rush, Im fairly sure I have a pack of the peugeot M7 socket head cap sump bolts, for fitting my 8v aircon sump. I am currently working away from home, but can look them up before pugfest hopefully.

Craig

I need 4~off at least 60mm long. must be Cap head type (allen key ones)

I'm In no rush, :)

Edited by ALEX

welshpug

see my reply here.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=150836&do=findComment&comment=1359297

do you really need 60mm?

I don't think you could go to a standard M8 bolt as the drill required is a 6.80, M7 is of course 7mm diameter at the root of the tapped hole, if you used a fine thread M8 x 1.0 it should work as you just use a straight 7mm drill for that, but there again comes the problem of sourcing just a couple of bolts.

cRaig

I need 4~off at least 60mm long. must be Cap head type (allen key ones)

I'm In no rush, :)

Cool, please send me a PM if I forget! :)

• Like 1

ALEX

Need to be Cap head. There's 2 counter bored holes in the sump and the other 2 have a small raised mating face (too small for the washer)

Always wondered why Haynes specify that the cap screws should be located around the
oil filter for the tin sump.
I’m reckoning now it’s a cross over on the instructions from the ally sump engine and something to with the manufacturing process and keeping things to a standard.

Or Maybe the sump was supposed to be ally on the 8 valve and replaced to keep cost
down but kept the fixings the same?

I bought 20~45mm long hex heads which are perfect for the length with the sump spacer, but only 3 to 5mm is showing on the 2 raised faced holes (the depth of the 2 counter bored holes are level with the 2 raised oes), so 60mm would be about right.

I can cut down anything longer.

Noticed I’ll have to D&T an M6 in the Crankshaft end plate for the sump spacer,
there’s one in the block, but I remember from my Gti there should be 2~M6 Cap heads for the spacer plate at opposite corners.

Don’t fancy taking the belt off to do it on the bench so I’m going to attempt it on my back under the car.

petert

I'm fitting............ I can't seem to find any cap heads for the 4 recessed holes in the sump.

I counterbore the original two holes a bit deeper so the standard M7 cap screws can be used. Sharpen up an 11mm flat bottom drill and use a drill press. Make sure the drill is in hole before you hit the start button!

If moving up, you definitely need to use M8x1, as the coarser M8x1.25 thread will interfere with the original thread.

• Like 1