• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
B1ack_Mi16

Assembling Engine That Wont Be Started In A Long Time.. What Lube To U

B1ack_Mi16

I'm about to assemble the bottom end of my coming 405 T16 engine.

What oil shall I put on the bearings prior to assembly? I'm afraid the engine won't be started in about 1 years time, not sure if that's of any importance really?

I was thinking of some thick ATF oil, but not sure if that's any good.

Kristian

Edited by B1ack_Mi16

GilesW

Assembly lube.

Google it.

If ever building a serious engine I woudl recommend it.

Demon Twats or similar sell it.

Tom Fenton

Graphogen, nothing else. Have heard tales of engines that were started and run for 10 min with no oil in on this stuff.

B1ack_Mi16

Thanks. Will try to get some of that stuff then :)

Mandic

Or Red line engine assembly lube...

GilesW

mpz-engine-assembly-lube-1787776733-500x​

This is what I used.

Also what my mate has used on another 20 engine builds.

acox99

Build the oil pump up with something like Vaseline that way it won't run out, and the oil pressure will come up quickly when you crank it over before starting for first time. That's what we do with all bmc a and b series engines.

Mad Scientist

The Torco lube is good, and is like ice cream sauce in consistency, but it will thin out and run off to an extent over time. Graphogen will not move, and is a good option if you aren't starting in a while. Also good for cam lobes when the time comes.

Don't pack the pump with Vaseline, as the design of the pug pump means it's not needed, and it could cause minor temporary blockages and cavitation.

Most of the well known engine builders just use oil, but they don't leave them sitting around for long.

Edited by Mad Scientist

B1ack_Mi16

I've ordered a Torco one, basicly because couldn't find any Graphogens on eBay that would ship to Norway.

I'll remove the ignition leads anyhow before first start to get her to circulate the oil while cranking, so hope it will be good.

Will certainly be good to get all those parts mounted in one place so they don't take up so much space! :)

GilesW

Remove plugs too as compression without oil to the bearings can encourage pick-up.

pug_ham

I used the Torco engine assembly lube on my last engine build but it does drain off the bearings over a period of time so if at all possible I'd source some graphogen if at all possible for an engine that'll be stood for over six months.

I'll be using Graphogen on the next engine build I do.

g