• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
309jazzpanda

1600 8V, Mi Piston Fitment

309jazzpanda

Morning all, I have recently dropped onto some cheap mi16 pistons

Now I am sticking 1600 for class reasons and not going 16v because we discussed this idea and it worked out mucho expensive. So will the mi pistons just go straight onto the xu5 rods or will the little ends need work? I am aware the 8v is interference fit in the piston.

I am hoping to couple them up to a slightly worked head with 3 angle seats, 285 cam with vernier and obviously better valve train, exhaust wise I have a few choices at work, I know the jetronic is going to hate me for this new compression but motronic is just so hard to find now.

309jazzpanda

Really? not 1 person can help

Edited by 309jazzpanda

dcc

its been covered before, I haven't searched. but the engine it was done to came up for sale recently iirc.

309jazzpanda

I know spoox did a 1600 16v cut wasn't sure whether they needed special rods. I tried a search but couldn't reallx find anything that answered.Any ideas on compression?

Tom Fenton

Surely the compression height of the pistons will be wrong for the rods?

309jazzpanda

Well thats what I want know but don't seem to be getting by answers

welshpug

I wouldnt call it "wrong" but it sure will be differenf as the top of the piston is flat bar the valve reliefs.

You need to confirm the dish volumes of xu5ja and 9j4 and calculate the difference in compression.

From memory the 9j4 dont come quite flush to deck, dish/cutout/deck clearance of 2cc, designed for 1905 cc and 40cc head chamber and 1.4mm thick 83.5mm bore gasket.

8v chamber is 32 cc, similar 1.4 mm gasket, again, off the top of my head.

To make then fit XU5/7 conrods theres two ways, heat the rods and cool the pins

Or get small end bored and bushed, but theres not that much material to do this.

Edited by welshpug

309jazzpanda

Hmmm, so my idea of a high compression 1.6 may not be a simple case of put mi pistons on rods and all is good. I mean will it work with the 8v head

Edited by 309jazzpanda

309jazzpanda

Any ideas, I don't think I can stall the seller box longer

mollisk

To fit MI16 pistons to XU5 rods you will have to get the small end bored and fit a bush to suit the floating MI gudgeon pins. In addition the width of the rod at the small end will have to be reduced to allow the piston to fit.

As an alternative flat top pistons are available which will fit directly onto XU5 rods ( from a 1.9 SR ?? ).

regards,

Mollisk

pug_ham

As an alternative flat top pistons are available which will fit directly onto XU5 rods ( from a 1.9 SR ?? ).

To up the compression ratio on a 1.6 engine, this will be your best be bet & as said, they will fit directly onto the XU5 rods.

g

309jazzpanda

Thanks guys