• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mattr5uk

205 1.9 Engines

Mattr5uk

Apart from management systems are the engines the same through the years?

welshpug

no, the engines varied with the management, there's 128 122 and 105 bhp engines.

Mattr5uk

Do you know what they changed to allow for difference in bhp?

Mattr5uk

Thanks Simon.

I Should have searched for info being a little lazy :/

Mattr5uk

looking at the technical spec of the 1.9 engines the vast difference is in the compression ratio, the bore & stroke are the same so am I correct in theory you could take a block & head from any 1.9 and fit to another without issue? I remember changing the engine on my 1.6 to a 1.9 a fair few years ago now, it wouldn't run on the 1.9 injectors but did on the 1.6 ones pretty well.

JackTar

I have a similar dilemma. I have a near mint 1.9 engine that has done only 55000 miles - the problem is its a cat version which I believe only has 105 bhp. Could this engine be mated to a 1.6 gearbox and be driven with a standard 1.9 ecu or will I have to get the ecu remapped?

Mattr5uk

It will bolt perfectly fine to gearbox and my 1.6 car ran fine with a1.9 engine in it the only thing I had to swap was injectors.

welshpug

there is quite a difference between the 105 and 122+128 engines, namely valve lengths and combustion chamber sizes, and a matching piston dish, also cam duration and management.

Mattr5uk

However if you take a 1.6 105bhp car and fitted a 1.9 128bhp just head, block an manifolds no management as I did a few years ago it ran well. It didn't want to start initially but once I fitted the 1.6 injectors it started fine( not sure if injectors were knackered or it's because they were a mismatch with 1.6ecu)

What car are you planning for it to go in?

welshpug

there's a 105 bhp 1.9 too.

martyn180

Ive just had the high lift cam\ported headed ( skip brown rs3 ) taken of my cat engine, as it just didint run well and didnt get anymore power in the end, the motronic ecu stuggled to cope, no one seems to one to remap these any more, as you need to take the chip off, and solder it back on. Wayne at Chipwizards use to do it, but not anymore. or go aftermarket emerald/omex.

If the cars concourse , leave it be, they run nice , just feels flat but the torque will take you through ok. if you are really after more and have low compression engine , then turbo it your not bothered about originalty.

Mattr5uk

I didn't know that, it's always good to have much more technical knowledge of these engines. Especially if your trying to avoid further issues with the way it runs.