• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alan_M

Xsara Vts Struts/top Mounts On Boggo 306

Alan_M

Got a problem with my 306.

Several months ago, I rebuilt the front suspension with new bearings & shafts. As the original struts were leaking, I replaced them with some freebies (Thanks to Paul_13) from a Xsara VTS coupled matching VTS top mounts with new bearings. For some reason, I decided to refit the original springs.

The problem I have, is that it looks like the front of the car has a touch of positive camber. Appears to be loads of caster too on full lock. Tell-tale sign is the outside shoulder of the tyres getting scrubbed. Consequently, my CV joints are now grumbling which could possibly be due to the 'plunge'?

Car handles ok, initial turn-in is sharp though and if you're not careful, the back can step-out easily.

I can only think it is due to the boggo spring/VTS damper combo. Sound feasible? The original springs were laughably soft, I could practically push them down by hand when rebuilding the strut! Now thinking I should fit the VTS springs too, but really can't be arsed to lower the rear. If I open the beam up, I can only invisage more problems.

How much drop did the VTS have over the boring stuff?

welshpug

does it have pas and have you changed the lower balljoints recently?

unless the dampers are bent it wont be them, as the top and bottom is in the same place as the original 306 ones.

top mounts afaik are no different, springs will only affect ride height.

VTS springs will more than likely give a dramatic ride height increase...

Edited by welshpug