• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ian205

Best Start Off Engine Mods For 1.6Gti?

Ian205

as above. liking the idea of building my 205 as a road legal track car as such, i have a few 'engine mods' as is . s/s 4 branch manifold into full s/s system. alloy rad, i also bought a new coilpack dizzy cap rotar arm, leads and plgus, so should have no problem with spark anyway.

just wondering what the more experianced drivers would recomend? i cant afford to dive in at the deep end and run a full throttle body system..yet! so i just want to do little things bit by bit to slightly up the power!

thanks

welshpug

Personally I'd go with a mild cam and a different ecu, bin the afm and dizzy, should net a little more power and torque but more importantly a nicer drive.

205turbo

I would start off by putting a 1.9 in

Miles

1.6 are great little engine's, But on a budget don't expect huge gain's I'm afraid

Henry 1.9GTi

I would do as above comment; ditch dizzy and afm, get it on mapable engine management. The joy of this is that it allows future upgrades. Can be transfered to pretty much any car. And has very good resale value if you decide to pack it in

Dont expect any horsepower though :)

Edited by Henry 1.9GTi

Anthony

Best thing you can do is ensure that it's running properly and thus making its full compliment of horses, which the majority these days don't.

Otherwise, I'd agree with Paul - dropping a good 1.9 GTi engine in (keeping the 1.6 box) is the cheapest performance increase you'll get given that you're not constrained to a capacity for competition class reasons.

I hate to disagree with you Henry, but in terms of value, in my opinion/experience aftermarket management makes for a very poor upgrade on a standard(ish) 8v - I did it on a car I did for someone a couple of years back, and there was (tested back to back) very little improvement in terms of power/torque over a well setup Jetronic setup (although manners did improve considerably, but that's hardly a priority on a track car)

Henry 1.9GTi

true, was just thinking of future shananigans

I was maybe go as far as say fit an Mi16? Not too much more cost over a 1.9. probably only double / triple ;)

just if your gonna go to the extent of engine swap, may as well add some valves

welshpug

unless you're lucky, it'll need a rebuild...

jonny6

Trying to extract extra power on a budget isnt worth doing if you ask me , Deffo agree with the 1.9 idea . I sold a rebuilt 1.9 with a set of 45's for £600 , went well . As said above , make sure everything is healthy and as it should be . The four branch and a free flowing filter can't hurt . If speed is what your ultimately after , put the car on a diet and get some decent discs , pads and fluid .

Gavin Waddell

I'm looking at doing the same thing to mine, and am also after a few ideas. I can't engine swap as it's illegal over here and to much hassle to get it 'homologated ',( peolpe over here just buy subarus and golf gti's with big shiny rims, i like to be different even if it aint that fast) plus always liked the reviness if the 1.6. So was wondering What can be done to get a few more horses. I've got a ported head sitting on a shelf going to get it skimmed to up compression a bit and maybe fit a cam( don't really know how big I can go, want to keep if drivable).

Also could a a mega jolt be used with a standard ecu?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Gavin

dcc

seems nobody has mentioned the easy option of fitting a 4.4 CWP to the 1.6 gearbox.

309jazzpanda

Whilst on the subject, anyone ever put mi16 pistons in a 1600?. Just an idea, trying to keep the 309 1600 for class reasons and got some mi16 pistons at work. Got a d6b head getting 3 angled at the moment and should be collecting a 285 cam next week. What do we think? Too much compression