• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pee Dubs

Another 6Speed Thread

Pee Dubs

Hi all from New Zealand, I have yet another series of questions on the same old gearbox/ratios discussion.

I have a 309GTI track car that runs a mi16 engine on carbs, but just a 1.9 box which I feel is holding back its potential. Finding a 1.6 or VTS box here in NZ is nigh on impossible, so as far as I can tell the 6 box is my best option. I'm aware of the RH lock issue, though from what I've read it's more of a problem for road cars rather than on track. All of the tracks I frequent have LH hairpins & the car is set up ok so a decent 'dab of oppo' to correct oversteer hasn't been required yet... I also have an old GTI6 so have a be3/6 box ready to swap!

Has anyone run a be3/6 with a mi16 engine? Are the ratios of be3/6 about right for track use a with the mi16 engine? Pros/Cons?

Flywheel & clutch should be interchangeable- can someone please confirm?

The current gear lever is a long rod to bring the gear ball past the side of the race seat and near to the wheel. I'm not too sure how I'm going to manage the reverse. Use a modified lift-up mechanism? Other suggestions?

Anything else to be aware of?

As an aside my road-going 205GTI mi16 is going to run a mi16 box with 1.9 3/4th which should make it rather rapid also!

Thanks

petert

Hello over the ditch.

What's the point of carrying around a gear you'll never use? 6th gear is way too long (0.79 x 4.05) for any serious track work. The overall ratio of 5th is 3.84:1 (0.95 x 4.05) which is the same as a 1.9L 5th with an Mi16 cwp (0.865 x 4.43). I contemplated the 6 speed, but would change the cwp. See here:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=144876

As for your road going 205, you also need to change 5th gear. Otherwise the gap from 4th (1.069) to 5th (0.76) is way too long. Either bite the bullet and fit a 0.865 5th or look around for a 0.81 5th from an Mi16x4. I run this combo and it's a good compromise.

Alternatively, use the 1.9L gearset with a 4.06:1 cwp - basically a 1.6L GTi box with a longer 1st.

Edited by petert

Pee Dubs

Hi Peter,

Yes changing to a 4.43 cwp would probably work best- the issue is finding one (or a 4.06 for that matter). Got any spare?! :rolleyes:

I only give the 205 a caning on twisty back roads where I'm lucky to get out of 3rd at the moment. I usually drive like a nana on the highway so I'm planning on only using 5th for cruising & don't mind dropping to 4th for hills or passing. Almost no chance of finding 0.81 5th so would have to be 0.865 if at all. Will see how it goes for now...