• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kilauea

Back To Standard...

kilauea

So although I'd love to get it on the road a.s.a.p. I've decided to take my time and get the car how I would like it. Which means basically with more compliancy, comfort and OG looks. Which I've come to by the fact I have little time for trackdays, the missus is more likely to enjoy a day out in it and the roads round the peak district (including my drive) are more suited to a 4x4!

So I started with this..

205gti.jpg

All nice and shiny, top end rebuild, bbm hoses, kyb agx dampers with autofive springs, grpn N top mounts, grp A rear mounts, SBC quickshift with the beam serviced and lowered by SBC and it was rolling road tuned at Mikeanics. Running great.

Now it looks like this (and this is after a good cleaning up!)

P1010059.jpg

With a snapped spring. Snapped handbrake cable. And just not looking great with moldy lights, faded plastics and badges, stained alloys, no MOT yet and so on. So the plan is this....

No money for paint yet, so a good t-cutting and polish.

Plasticare bought for the trim.

New red insert to source for OS rear.

Standard springs and dampers (may keep the KYB's yet and just turn them down)

Replace grp N/A stuff with OE mounts

Raise beam

Refurb alloys and put on decent 185/55 rubber

New lights

Restore badges

Replace handbrake cables

New discs/pads all round

Drop and replace fluids

New sparky bits

Other than the wheel refurb, I'm going to try and do this all myself. How much I end up working away will determine how quickly it all happens. Well that and the quite considerable limits of my ability! I will get stuck and I will need a bit of help/encouragement on the way.

But the new (as in NEW) lights arrived today..

P1010058.jpg

The bagdes are off ready for the missus to have a go..

P1010062.jpg

And I'm hoping this bit of wire is going to stop my driveshafts popping out when I yank the dampers out (for which I need the 16mm deep socket that seems to be the only one missing). The wire goes to a small hole at the the front of the subframe. Anyone have any better tricks for this?

P1010061.jpg

Lan

don't you have a set of spark plug sockets? the smaller of the two is 16mm usually stamped 5/8" or 14mm :)

welshpug

I usually remove the hub off the Driveshaft, easier than faffing with a damper in situ I find personally.

• Like 1

Ramigojag

in that second picture of the car looks as if they'res no engine judging from the front ride height. My wheels need a refurb, but im going to give it ago myself why dont you?

dcc

theres a difference between refurbish and paint over crud.

As for the ride height, to me it looks fairly obvious the passenger side of the car is jack up in the air, and the engine in his driveshaft pic gives it away a bit :D

Ramigojag

theres a difference between refurbish and paint over crud.

As for the ride height, to me it looks fairly obvious the passenger side of the car is jack up in the air, and the engine in his driveshaft pic gives it away a bit :D

I know...thats why i said refurbish not "paint over crud"

Yeah fair enough i didnt notice that bit

kilauea

Aha! yes its jacked up with a stand t'other side.

I would refurb but tried previously on my old mx5 and got so-so results. Hence leaving the badge painting to my missus, I don't do "decorative".

Good tip on the spark plug socket - it actually said 10mm on it but fit perfect. Anyone else riding on autofive springs?....

P1010063.jpg

P1010065.jpg

Drive shafts stayed put, Phew....

P1010067.jpg