• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jameswallace.

What Parts Do I Need For My Gti6 Conversion?

marksorrento205

Go for the later!

Get one of these from Miles http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-GTi-to-306-Gti-Conv-Oil-Pressure-adaptor-/350788612485?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51aca17185

Take the 205 gti oil pressure sender and fit it to the above along with the oil pressure switch, wire it up job done. Standard dash gauge :)

allanallen

Jamie no offence but why would anyone in their right mind fit/wedge/butcher that piece of max power, smoked crap into their 205

Simplest off the shelf option is to get one of these off miles and use your standard gauge and sender.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-GTi-to-306-Gti-Conv-Oil-Pressure-adaptor-/350788612485?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51aca17185

Edit:

Mark you arse, this is my thread now! :D

Edited by allanallen
  • Like 1

chipstick

It's the smaller items you initially overlook that soon add up. Exhaust manifold gasket, downpipe fitting kit, driveshaft seals, oils. Those items alone are probably £100.

The next thing you know your nipping out for something and spending £25 here and there.

What are you doing about wiring loom and coolant hoses? Good few hundred for those if you buy BBM silicon hoses and have a loom made for you.

jameswallace.

I think I'd prefer to have it wired up to my standard dash gauge.

And chipstick I was planning on buying the bm hoses from bluebolt and I have a friend who has a loom company so il see if he feels confident in helping me out while I try to follow the loom wiring thread on here. Then he can fix it when I ruin it!

But yes all the little things do seem to add up very quickly!!

Edited by jameswallace.

jameswallace.

Although what coolant hoses have you used chipstick? As yours are black by the looks of it

ORB

I did all my wiring, manifold & down pipe mods myself, as with the water pipes.

I did not account for the fluids and filters as I do these annually anyway so I saw it as part of a service, much like belt, pump and stuff.

I know I'm lucky having a parts dept behind me saving me money, but if it costs you a grand to swap over yourself, your failing somewhere.

chipstick

Although what coolant hoses have you used chipstick? As yours are black by the looks of it

I used BBM black hoses. I wanted it to look more OEM rather than stand out.

I suppose with my build I bought some bits that weren't strictly necessary but I wanted to buy the best of everything and have piece of mind that I could almost fit and forget. I didn't want to save £20 reusing an exhaust manifold gasket to have to potentially change it over afterwards.

If I get chance over the next few days I may pull out my folder and knock up a spreadsheet. I kept everything down to the small service items so I can list the lot and you can make your own mind up whether you need each particular piece or have another way to overcome something.

ablister

I did all my wiring, manifold & down pipe mods myself, as with the water pipes.

I did not account for the fluids and filters as I do these annually anyway so I saw it as part of a service, much like belt, pump and stuff.

I know I'm lucky having a parts dept behind me saving me money, but if it costs you a grand to swap over yourself, your failing somewhere.

Engine £400

VTS gearbox £120

BBM hoses £200

BBM engine mounts £100

Spiky wiring loom £120?

Tachconvertor £25

Oil £20

Filer £5

Gearoil £20

Driveshaft seals £15

Coolant £20

Spark plugs £10

Belt kit £80

Water pump £30

Miles' manifold £80

Miles' downpipe £40

Fuel hoses £10

Exhaust manifold gasket £18

Clutch kit £60

£1263 so far and probably a few bits i've missed out...

As you said, you're lucky to get most of the bits cheap so you're mad to assume that just because you have done it for a certain price then everyone else should be able to as well.

• Like 2

shalmaneser

Go for the later!

Get one of these from Miles http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-GTi-to-306-Gti-Conv-Oil-Pressure-adaptor-/350788612485?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51aca17185

Take the 205 gti oil pressure sender and fit it to the above along with the oil pressure switch, wire it up job done. Standard dash gauge :)

I must be s*it then!

I bought one of those and an oil pressure sender but the oil pressure sender had the wrong threads for the hole, and getting the low pressure oil sender out of the block with the engine in the car involves removing 95% (give or take) of the ancillaries and I couldn't be arsed!

Am I missing something?

EDIT: I'm running PAS which does make getting to the low pressure sender an arse.

Edited by shalmaneser

cheesegrater

I had one too with the wrong threads. I retapped it out to accept the right thread.

Anthony

There's quite a few things on the conversion that are much easier to do with the engine out of the car, than it is trying to do them after the engine is fitted - the oil pressure sender is one of those things, cambelt is another.

Indeed, my attitude is to do everything possible with the engine out of the car, and then aim to drop in the engine and merely have the basic plumbing and wiring to connect up. Quite simple and straight forward that way, the only thing is that you need to have a reasonable idea what you're doing in advance.

With regards prices, it's always going to vary massively depending on what you're able to do yourself, what standard you're doing the conversion to, what prices you're paying for consumables, and as Ablister mentioned above, how many other things not directly related to the engine conversion you end up doing at the same time, either because it's so much easier or because you discover them when the engine is out.

The biggest cost with these sorts of jobs is always labour if you're paying others to do the whole or part of the job for you, be that cost directly (ie paying someone to do the wiring loom for you) or indirectly (paying more for the engine than you would have done if you'd bought a donor car and removed the engine and sold off the remainder yourself). That's a large part of why you get such massive differences in prices quoted by different people, as demonstrated perfectly above by ORB and Ablister

marksorrento205

There's quite a few things on the conversion that are much easier to do with the engine out of the car, than it is trying to do them after the engine is fitted - the oil pressure sender is one of those things, cambelt is another.

Indeed, my attitude is to do everything possible with the engine out of the car, and then aim to drop in the engine and merely have the basic plumbing and wiring to connect up. Quite simple and straight forward that way, the only thing is that you need to have a reasonable idea what you're doing in advance.

As per above :) If you are doing an engine conversion the engine will be out of the car at some point (to answer post #34) I have had a few from Miles and they have always been the correct threads.

Edited by marksorrento205