• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DanRM

Not Starting After Cutting Out Due To No Fuel

DanRM

I was driving round last night and the fuel light started to flicker, so made my way across town to the petrol station and it just cut out no spluttering or anything, just as if I stalled. My guess was that the gauge light must have a loose connection and was on longer than it showed and I ran out of fuel. Put a gallon in and turned the ignition on, after a few seconds cranking it fired up, but there was a horrible whining noise coming from by the driver dash air vent (by the window) so I turned it off, tried again and there was no noise that time, nor any noise from the pump. Kept on turning it over for a few minutes on and off and it wouldn't fire up, then pump sounded out at the back and that noise started in the dash on ignition again then it started. Took it down into a car park turned it off and started it again, - no problem no noise, same with when i filled it up at the station. Carried on to my girlfriends house, turn the car off and the pump sounded like it was still going for about 3 minutes after. This morning went to leave and had the whining noise from the dash for about 5 seconds and now the car wont fire at all, the petrol gauge runs down as it's turning over and theres no noise coming from the back indicating the pump is working.

I've checked for a spark, checked the fuse for the pump and the connections around the dash where the noise is coming from. Anyone able to shed some info on this for me please? I'm guessing the fuel pump has gone but what is the noise from the dash area too?

Cheers

welshpug

sounds like the fuel pump relay is knackered.

DanRM

sounds like the fuel pump relay is knackered.

Thanks for the reply, was out looking around and wiggling plugs and wires, took the fuel pump relay out and took the case off, the back of the circuit board next to pin 87 is black so I'd say you're right. Will order a new one tomorrow and see