• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mattg

Gti-6 Won't Start

mattg

Thanks chap, I hadn't thought of doing the resistance check on the ECU earths that way, i'll go and look for the wiring info.

Welshpug kindly advised the pins which should be switched and permanent live which are the ones I checked over but i'll check again to make sure nothing has changed.

I'm confident that the loom was made well as it was Miles that made it so I suspect that something has got damaged somehow rather than a poor loom, maybe something within the donor wiring itself has gone Arai. I can't see any physical damage or evidence of extreme heat but i'll look again.

I know what you mean about it being good that it's not intermittent though, at least once it's sorted then i'll know it's sorted.

Anthony

If Miles did the loom then it should be spot on in terms of having being done properly, so that's something, but that's not to say that it hasn't suffered damage from poor install, routing, vibration, heat etc during the 200 miles that it's been in the car.

Spiky

Does pin 14 of the big relay get 12v with ignition on?

If no, add 12v to the wire and try and start

Miles

Silly point here, Have you checked the Fuel pump fuse?

mattg

Does pin 14 of the big relay get 12v with ignition on?

If no, add 12v to the wire and try and start

yeah, switched live at pin 14 is present and correct.

Silly point here, Have you checked the Fuel pump fuse?

I have Miles, yes. Changed it just to be sure also.

I'm just looking to arrange some reasonably priced transport back down to you as that way it'll be sorted quickly and I can get back to enjoying it.

Spiky

And have you got 12v at the pump?

And a earth

mattg

No 12v at the pump at all... if I bridge 5 and 8 I do though...

It's going to be something daft isn't it.

Spiky

Sounds like double relay to me, or the fuel pump pin has come loose on 6 pin plug under steering coloum, or loose wire between 306 loom ad fuel pump

Do you have 12 at the 6 pin plug under dash , it will be the large white wire, do the check on the car side if the loom,

Spiky

Get a 25amp bit of cable and temporally run a cable from the said white wire on 6 pin plug to the fuel pump and see if it starts.

Spiky

You still got the ineritia switch, if yes, bridge the wires

mattg

Not got the inertia switch but am going to try what you suggest above... will report back tomorrow.

Cheers Spikey, appreciate it.

mattg

I've got a white 2 way and a brown 4 way under the dash... two wires are thick white. Any idea which to test?

Spiky

Have you not got the two brown plugs? A 6pin and a 9pin?

dcc

depending who did the wiring, its possible the brown plugs are behind your dash. I usually move them from the footwell...

mattg

I think they are hidden in that case... i'll have a route around tomorrow.

Spiky

Just follow the engine loom into the car :)

mattg

Cheers Spikey, will have a look when it's light.

I've had a really good quote to get the car back down to Pug Racing (who i'm sure will have it running in two minutes) so if I don't have any joy will send it on down.

mattg

Quick update. Car is back down with Miles, looks like it's an issue with the loom (as in the original Xsara loom, not the Pug racing bit)

Top chap that he is, Miles is knocking up a new loom using a GTI-6 one as a base so will see if that does the trick. I'm sure it will.

mattg

Just to conclude this (I hope) for people looking for this in the future... New loom fitted and we are running again. Looks like the Xsara loom had an issue somewhere.

I'm collecting on Saturday.

Miles

As above, really odd one this and had it happen on a old S16 I used to own, Everything on the loom checks out OK on the old DVM which is the strangest thing but it just doesn't work, as we know the basic loom only needs a couple of wires to work which all work but no signal is given out to the pump or anything else.

The old loom will be used as spares so I might find something wrong with it over time