• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allanallen

Mi16 Tuning

allanallen

Morning all! Before I start, I'm not a newb, I've searched this topic and not really found a hard and fast recipe for what I'm after. I also don't want this to turn into another bloody oil surge debate so please leave that at the door.

Right I want to race my 309, it currently has a 6 engine fitted. Now as it is I can race it in various series but in all but one it will be very uncompetitive due to regs. I could stick with my current engine and boost it to make it more competitive but it still doesn't hide the fact that it'll be essentially in the same class as 800bhp factory built race cars ????

So exploring my other options I'm looking at keeping it in an under 2000cc mod prod class. So roughly I need an engine that the car could be bought new with, it needs to be n/a but internals are pretty much free. I'm leaning towards something like wardy did with a diesel block and essentially making an s16 but.....

I'd like to know what can be done with an ally mi to get 250bhp + with a decent spread of torque N/A ? Is upping the capacity to 2000cc possible or safe with standard liners? Would chasing the power I'm after leave me with a very empty wallet (I know it'll be expensive anyway) and a very high revving, peaky, unreliable pig of an engine? Is it achievable by a mere mortal such as myself?

Please don't just regurgitate stuff you've read, I'd like to hear real world experiences please,although I do realise not many people seem to be doing anything with the ally mi on here anymore ???? I realise talking to a decent peugeot experienced race engine builder should be my first port of call but at the minute I'm just looking at my options so don't want to waste anyone's time.

Thanks for any input, Al

welshpug

You can't go any further than 1930 cc with standard liners afaik (+0.5mm) and you have the issue of finding someone who knows their onions regarding boring the liners, they need to be clamped properly.

85mm liners are possible, but stupid money, that would give you 1998cc.

Or you have the diesel block and whatever XU head you want scenario, do your regs say the head is free?

If so then an engine like Colin Satchell's 270 bhp ish motor using the XU7 head, diesel block bored to 85mm and 88mm 1.9 XU/XUD crank will give you a nice reliable engine.

(without the oil issues associated with an MI :P )

Miles

250 is quite easy, Just the normal route of headwork, Cams, Lifters, Pistons and Rod's. I can point you in the direction of a old Longman engine if needed with all this done

Why a Derv block, May as well use a std Iron one, No one will know as even when 205's where being raced most 8'v's where running 16v blocks even thou really they shouldn't

Edited by Miles

welshpug

why give anyone a reason to complain, all the S16's are knackered anyway!

allanallen

I'm tied up to using standard head and block although I'd risk an s16 block as they're so similar and we've got a minter sat in calvins garage Heads on the other I'd like to keep mi, which without getting into oil issues shouldn't be a problem?

Miles, I'd be interested to hear about the mi you know of although I tend to associate longman engines with catostrophic expensive explosions!

Miles

Thats is true, but at least all the right bits are there, LOL

GTI6BOY

Send me the details also please miles

petert

I've done 84x88 on std liners. Just finishing another now. That will get you 1950cc. Use a steel crank, solid cams, 12:1 etc and spin it to 8500 and you'll crack 250 easily.

allanallen

O oh, I've bought an engine ☺

rallyeash

Whatcha buy?! Interesting thread as I've often thought about racing but can't cause of my lump

Shakey_Jake

Spill the beans!

16v?

calvinhorse

Spill the beans!

16v?

No offence to baz but it makes his mass engine look like ginger beer ;)

pug_ham

Have you bought it from your boss? ;)

g