• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rochie

175Bhp The Limit For An 8V?

allanallen

Potentially another 'can of worms' comment from me but a few others will vouch for this. A year or so ago at donnigton there was a rather nice 205 with a standard k20 fitted, we were excited to see how it went as I was strongly considering the conversion my self. Top and bottom of it was that I had a passenger and the 309 wieght penalty so probs 200kgs heavier and he'd only pull 2 car lengths down starkeys.

Yes they're fantastic engines and have more tuning potential but I was sufficiently unimpressed in standard form to not pursue the conversion any longer.

I know it's not a fantastic scenario as he may have been running flat tyres or a diesel gearbox or blah blah blah etc etc, it's just my experience ????

rallyeash

I could agree with that. Yes more tuning potential but unless your going for huge numbers why bother with the hassle. A well breathed 16v isn't going to much different in reality to a K20 lump

Batfink

The Honda engines are nothing special. For me the Honda move was a no brainer when balancing performance vs budget. Cheap initial power and cheap upgrades along with the right capacity I wanted. Certainly not for everyone but it can be worth opening your mind to engines from other cars.

Anulfo

My 8valve was built by longmans a few years ago and webber carbs were added by skip brown cars.Recently rolling roaded at skip browns at 170bhp at the wheels.Paul at skips was quite pleased but said 37mm chokes would possibly gain another 5bhp? I have heard of fully race prepped 8valvers running at 210+ bhp but rebuilds would be frequent and very expensive.

Miles

Not really, the 230bhp 8v's did a complete race season with no issues if built right, But use the wrong oil and the buckets would suffer badly

Vili

Hi guys.

This is my first thread after buying an 8v 1.9 track day car.

The current engine is a pretty well speced:

---

Is this about the limit for a fast road/tack car or is there any further tuning to extract a bit more power?
I have thought of throttle bodies of course but cant really justify the price as I like the webers anyway.
Further cylinder head work?
Many thanks in advance

You should buy programmable ignition especially if your car is fitted with std. ignition curve dizzy.