• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnhenry

Radiator Cooling Fan; Which One?!

johnhenry

Morning

i have recently been delivered the wrong radiator fan switch, it has 2 pins on the rear, not 3, i bought it because it seemed the most logical temperature conditions to work at when combined with the thermostat

What should the standard Radiator fan switch temperature perimeters be?

Where can i get hold of one?

Thermostat 89 DEG C

Rad fan switch: ???? (the one i bought kicked in at 92 and went full at 97)

It sounds stupid but the rad fan switch has to become 'on' at temperatures higher than stated on the thermostat right? otherwise it would just be permanently on?

Cheers

John

welshpug

your local motorfactor should be able to sort you one if not Jeff at :Lookers in Cardiff ;)

the two figures you have there are the on and off temperatures, given its two pin it wont be low and high !

as far as I know the standard gti switching temperatures are 97 and 101, coming off at 96 and 92.

1264 22 NFP 97/92 -101/96 DEG- UNTIL DATE 1990 01 02

and

1264 45 101/96-97/92DEG - SINCE DATE 1990 01 02

The difference is the plug.

img_0403181010.jpg

img_0403184010.jpg

intermotor part numbers are

50103 for earlier cars, 50106 for later cars.

have a look on here, and if you want a lower temp there's a few you could use, I've got an 83 degree stat in mine and a later cooling fan loom and will be getting a 50092 I think.

http://www.intermotor.co.uk/?p=smpeurope/catalogue&brand=intermotor&SESSID=8kk9l4d3pdlvod5hrdqlhq12u3&SESSID=jh794edirjeitrqn5up3ur9h21

Edited by welshpug

Anthony

if you want a lower temp there's a few you could use, I've got an 83 degree stat in mine and a later cooling fan loom and will be getting a 50092 I think

That's the thermoswitch that I run on mine - originally found on various 90's PSA diesels (non-A/C) and has a purple band on the OE switches at least.

welshpug

Sounds good Anthony.

I just checked the fan switch I obtained form a later 1.1 205 and that is the same 101/97 switching points as a gti, it has a red ring and blue plug, that specific detail not shown on the intermotor listing for this switch though.

the earlier switch is a white ring and that is shown in the part details.

welshpug

I just picked up a fan thermoswitch from my local motorfactor, gave them the 50092 intermotor and they cross referenced to a Facet part they had in stock.

9151386873_7035f7d67f_z.jpg

welshpug

searching for the part numbers again just now I realised I hadnt posted the switching temperatures for the aforementioned thermoswitch, they are

92-87/97-92

so as you can see you do need the 83 degree stat or it'll be coming on and off all the time with an 89 deg unit!