• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
weetel

1600 Gti Stopped While Driving? Anyine, Possible Sensor Or Fuel Pump?

weetel

Hi

I have had me car running for the last 3 weeks and today when I was going up the gears, I got into 5th and the car suddenly stopped running and I couldn't get it started again.

The car seems as though it is starved for fuel, but I am unsure if there could be another problem.

The car was running lumpy previous to this, and it was as if it was on 3 cylinders.

Does anyone have an idea of a fix and where to start.

Thanks Tel.

Slo

fuel pump/relay? ignition amp seems to be coming up a lot recently as dieing cambelt hasn't snapped has it? sure there's fuel in it? got fuel and spark? don't overlook the obvious

Roon

Does sound like a tacho replay aka the fuel pump relay. Mine went would turn over fine just not fire up as no fuel.

weetel

OK cheers for that one, I will check the fuel pump relay later.

will let you know the outcome.

Thx.

PS. Belt has not snapped, thankfully.,

weetel

ok following searching for the cause of the problem, I have tried to replace the fuel pump relay,

This if I am going to be honest seems to have shown up the overfuelling issue I originally had a year ago, before I got this car to run at all.

the car seems to not know when to shut itself off from warm start to idle,

Before changing the relay, I had high and low idle, noticeably after car tried to relax idle after warm start, but now the car seems to start, then flood itself. does anyone know what I should be looking at next? possible Temp sensor??

any help would be appreciated.

welshpug

Temp sensor, afm, tps.

weetel

AFM already replaced, Temp sensor I will try today, TPS I will try after that, im taking it this is all trial and error?

welshpug

no, test them :lol:

was the afm new?

weetel

No the AFM was not a new one, I have old unit, I may try with original unit, just incase this unit has a problem also,

The Temp sensor, I am unsure what readings this should be and also the TPS, so I need a little more reading before I try these, Out comes the multimeter again!. pity I m not up to speed, I am learning.

weetel

Hmm.

After a little more searching about, I have now wondered whether my aftermarket immobiliser is cutting the fuel pump, as the car originally when it stopped I could not get it started again, then when I did get it towed home, I tried to start it the next day, and it started, although it cut out after a minute or so, and now it will turn over and wont fire up.

fuel relay tested.

Tried to test the temp sensor and found another few wires loose so I didn't end up even getting to it as I closed the bonnet in slight disgust.

I have wiring out under dash, a car that wont start, and 1 frustrated Gti driver / owner.

I will post pictures of the newly found sensor plugs in the engine tomorrow

kilauea

Is it defintely fuel related? Are your plugs wet after cranking? Are you getting a strong spark on all 4 plugs?

Don't do my usual trick and dive into replacing sensors everywhere when its just corroded coil terminals or knackered plugs! ;)

weetel

Thanks for the reply.

The plugs are wet after cranking, although this still could happen if the immobiliser is cutting pump after a delay on start?

I have replaced plugs, also fuel pump relay, I am swaying towards the immobiliser. I will keep you updated.

ORB

If there is enough fuel to wet the plugs, there should be at least some effort to fire. Have you pulled an injector to see if its spraying?

weetel

I haven't tried injector.

I pulled the plugs individually, they all seem to be wet, I noticed on 2 of the plugs I wasn't getting the full kick, so replaced these with new NGK plugs, they still seem to be getting wet, possibly too wet, and the car is just winding on as though the fuel is restricted!

I had a look at the wiring of the immobiliser, and I hope I haven't caused myself more damage, as now struggling to get it to turnover / wind at all.. seems immobilised. (new problem to resolve first.)

Oh who said this is a labour of love? !

weetel

ok after getting another chance to have a look at the 205, I have had to remove the immobiliser, as I had lost what seemed to be any sign of the car starting, due to being what seemed to be immobilised, to now have the same problem I had before I removed it.

So now I have it where as the car cut out when driving and would not restart.

when I got it towed home, the car started on the next time I tried it to cut out from what seemed to be overfuelling and it would not restart for about 24 hours, then it done the same, and same again, so each time I could get it to start, as soon as the cold start seemed to start to slow back down to a slower idle, the car would then cut out with a nice perfumed smell of petrol in the air and garage.

I have tried new plugs, tried the SAD, tried the Air flow meter, tried the fuel pump relay, removed the immobiliser, and same !!! aaagh.

If anyone who has had similar problems, could point me into what they think is the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thx

Anthony

Start with the basics - when it cuts out and won't restart, does the engine crank over (I'm assuming it does), do you have spark, does the fuel pump get power (check for 10-12v ish at the pump with a multimeter), is fuel being pumped around the system (you can usually hear the whoosing of petrol as it flows through the fuel rail), and is fuel being injected (you'll get a strong petrol smell from the cylinders when cranking with the plugs out)?

It sounds to me to be something electrical that's OK when cold but fails when it warms up, but without more info it would be a stab in the dark.

Slo

When you turn on the ignition does the fuel pump prime then turn off or run constantly? Note that it wont prime every time you turn it on as its not necessary when the pressure has built up.

AndyCrom

Have you changed/replaced the 2 pin water temp sensor?

AndyCrom

...Also try some carb cleaner in the brown multiplug under the AFM, knock out/clean any crud on the terminals

Edited by AndyCrom

weetel

ok so removed immobiliser, car seemed to start on the bump, which makes me think there may be low fuel pump pressure, then after starting on the bump, seemed to run like on 3 cylinders, then seemed to die due to what seemed to be over fuelling / possible bad mixture of air / fuel, as the more I tried to accelerate the more the car seemed to die.

Fuel pump doesn't seem to prime, or noticeably prime, but I am unsure of how to test.

I also seemed to have a few plugs which were not connected, which could have something to do with the speedo.

Is there anything I may have missed? or anything that could seem to cause car to overfuel?