• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mad Professor

What Diesel Engines Will Fit Standard Engine Mounts

Mad Professor

Good day all.

The 205 GRD diesel has been the main family car for just over two years now, this is use daily, for school runs, shopping, etc.

It's just about to tick over 180,000 miles on the clock, and besides it sounding like a tractor it starts and runs every time without fail.

From memory the GRD is only around 60bhp from new.

Now compare that to my 205 TT with around 250bhp, it feels like I need to get out and push :lol: .

So I have been thinking about giving the GRD a new heart.

At 1st I was going to look at fitting a 1.8TD engine, but it's still going to sound like a tractor.

I am now thinking about fitting a common rail diesel engine, something like the 307 2.0 HDI.

I know that any modern diesel engine is all ecu controlled, but ecu & wiring I am not at all worried about.

All I need to know is, will say a 307 2.0 HDI engine & gearbox fit the standard 205 engine mounts, and do the drive shafts line up as they should?

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.

Anthony

I suspect that most of the DW10 engines should fit when used with a BE series gearbox, at least in terms of basic mounts as they're a development of the XUD.

I don't know about 307 particularly, but I imagine that as a worse case you're going to have to use bits from a 306 HDi to make it fit.

Management wise, most later HDi's are going to be multiplex which complicates things somewhat, but earlier cars like 306's are non-multiplex and should be comparitively straight forward from a wiring point of view - I've not personally done an HDi, but there's a few people on here that have - "Uberderv" is one.

From a simplicity point of view though, a common as muck 1.9 TD engine with some appropriate tweaks is very simple (pretty much straight swap) and goes surprisingly well, if distinctly smokey off boost. Sounds like a tractor though, no question, but then to be honest a 2.0 HDi is hardly the paragon of refinement either.

kyepan

One of the chaps on here is a big proponent of the 1.9TD... he regularly eulogises about traffic light conquests, said he saw off a harrier jump jet in one the other day, i find that fairly difficult to believe, but i suspect it is rather brisk.. (think gti-6 brisk).

Needs a front mount intercooler though, as it suffered from fairly bad heat soak with the standard interwarmer fitted.

He's threatening to "take me for a spin" once the front mount is on, i reserve the right to be very impressed and change my mind completely.

• Like 1

Paul_13

There's more boost to come Justin, plus governer mod:which means power up to 5/6k think of it at the moment as a mild tune!

Fuel at the moment is cut at 3k!

Wait till it's sorted and you'll be pleasantly surprised!

On the subject I better change my signature!

Edited by Paul_13

Mad Professor

Thanks for the replies.

I was aware of the complexly of the newer HDi, multiplex vs non-multiplex.

I know someone that does ecu repairs, and has access to all the programming software, etc.

So I am hoping it will not be to much of an issue, just more a case of money to have any work done on the ecu's etc.

I have just had a quick look on carfolio.com regarding engine power and torque.

Peugeot 205 Diesel

60bhp @ 4600rpm.

78ft-lb @ 2000rpm.

Peugeot 205 TurboDiesel

78bhp @ 4300rpm.

117ft-lb @ 2100rpm.

I could not see any of the 306/307 HDi, so I just picked a 308 HDi.

Peugeot 308 2.0 HDi

134bhp @ 4000rpm.

251ft-lb @ 2000rpm.

I am not sure if the above details are right, but with 251ft-lb I could move my little island. :rolleyes:

Anthony

Older 2.0 HDi's (306, 406, early 307 etc) are quite a bit down on that - 90hp / 151lbft (non-intercooled) and 110hp / 180lbft (intercooled)

I don't know what the fitting is like on the later 2.0 HDi from 308's etc, as that's a fundamentally different engine AFAIK

welshpug

that 308 engine will be the 16v variant of the DW10, the bottom end is the same in essence, I have seen one in a 306 on the web.

a rather more involved conversion than I imagine you would want to take on due to the complexities of the engine management system, I'm not sure it'll even fit as the turbo is quite large on them.

Edited by welshpug

Uberderv

I used a Citroen Xsara engine as the engine is tilted further back than 206's etc..... I think the engine code is RHY.

The engine and box go on the mounts fine, I changed the diff to the xud7 version to continue using base model d/shafts.

I had to trim the master cylinder to clear the cam cover. Also had to move the radiator forward on a tilt as the alternator sicks out a fair way. Not using PAS but that would get in the way too.

With a FMIC, decat and remap 150hp/250ft lbs ATW is pretty common figure.

Use Bosch injection system and Bosch management. Wiring is fairly straight forward and I used a 1.9gti fuel pump which works great.

If I could of done it again I would of used a different cooling system as its an awkward way to do it.

Project thread here- http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=147398&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

Needs updating, just been reet busy recently.

RossD

You'll need a decent clutch if you are going to fit and HDi and remap it. Its the weakest link in the chain really. (And the lack of an intercooler of the 2.0 HDi 90). A new standard clutch will hold for a bit (about 15k miles!) before it slips on a remapped HDi. This is from my own experience.

For an engine that will bolt in, you are looking at 306, Xsara or 406 as the 307's and possibly the 206 etc had the engine at a different angle to meet crash standards.

Source: http://www.christiantena.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/motor/peugeot/hdi/b1bbm2k3.htm

Saying that, even a boggo standard HDi 90 will feel reasonably brisk in a lightweight 205!