• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Wilky

Gti - Like A 'red Arrow'!

Wilky

Leading on from my thread about a possible head gasket after my GTI wouldn't start, I've now got it started - well sort of, and it's not using water so probably not the head gasket?

I took off the air flow meter connection and it started albeit it's chucking out smoke from the exhaust like a Red Arrow!

It's very very strong smelling of fuel and fills a large bodyshop in a minute of dangerous fumes!

I'll try and upload a video of it. If I put the AFM connection back on it cuts out. I tried another used AFM and still the same. If I take off the AFM connection and even the hoses, it'll start but still smokes like I've never seen, massively overfueling.

I've changed the plugs and the 4 plug leads but not the kingpin lead as it was incorrect in the set, it's been suggested to me the kingpin lead is faulty and hence not producing enough spark etc??

I've taken the coolant sensor off to change and also the SAD to check/clean etc plus I've found the advance/retard pipe off the distributor whilst there - surely that alone wouldn't make that much of a difference??

I'm also thinking of checking/supplementing with a used part:

AFM flap

ECU

Fuel pressure regulator

Plus I'll get a brand new kingpin lead to be sure it's ok

Any ideas gratefully accepted and I'll happily send a beer voucher to anyone who correctly diagnoses it without me spending a fortune chasing it from one thing to another!!

Tom Fenton

Check and/or change the coolant temp sensor, then if the oil is piss thin and full of petrol dump it and then try again.

• Like 1

Wilky

Check and/or change the coolant temp sensor, then if the oil is piss thin and full of petrol dump it and then try again.

Yes mate I've removed the sensor and I'll change the oil like you say as a start

grandos

As soon as you disconnect the AFM, it will fuel at maximum output, the fact it starts when this happens is telling you that there is an issue with the normal amount of fuel!

This could be down to too much air, not enough fuel, or a poor spark.

I would start with basics first, is there a massive air leak some where? Does it have a clean strong spark on each cylinder, then is it getting enough fuel?

Wilky

I'm going to do the following, please add your own suggestions

1. Replace the coolant sensor

2. Replace the king lead to the distributor (the one supplied in the new leads was incorrect!)

3. Check all air pipes for splits etc

4. Replace the vacuum advance pipe as I've noticed it was off and keeps splitting

5. Clean the SAD valve

6. Drain the oil and change the filter

7. Check for strong spark on each cylinder and upload videos for opinions!

After this if the thing doesn't behave I'm going to punch it!!

Wilky

This is the car running:

th_004-7_zpsfafb7a78.jpg

Is this enough of a spark?:

th_003-5_zps7c89c337.jpg

Wilky

SORTED!!! Running sweet again and it was something simple and easily done......someone had put DIESEL in it from an unleaded petrol can!!

• Like 1