• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

Repairing V6 Drive Shaft (Possibly Damaged - Photos)

allye

So after my breaky hub incident and the drive shaft being pulled in half I would like your opinion on whether its terminal damage or not, and also if I'm missing parts to put it back together (which I suspect I am)

There is damage to the end of the inner part of the drive shaft, nothing internal though.

DSCF0439_zpsa592d3c2.jpg

Also some light damage to the end of the other half

DSCF0436_zps6b3b5783.jpg

These are the only spare parts I have for it, I have no idea how these shafts go together having never done it! (any diagrams handy?)

DSCF0440_zpsa868a121.jpg

Plan was to hand it over to a local garage to put back together.

Many thanks! Ali

(oh and of course they are welded shafts for a replacement is not a option, long term plan is some stronger custom items)

Tom Fenton

Bin. There should be needle rollers and spherical beating outers to fit on the tripod joint.

allye

oh cock, is there any way of buying a new drive shaft and transferring them over?

Tom Fenton

Yes, the tripod is held onto the shaft usually with three centre pops. Grind them off then the tripod can be removed leaving you with bare shaft end. Then sabotage your new shaft in the same manner for the tripod, needles, outer race, and main input cup.

allye

give it to the garage then! I have little to no tools with me in Weymouth. Thanks Tom for the help.

allye

Will the pins and bearing be unique to the 406 V6 drive shafts? or are they a standard size?

Goliath

They are unique to the 406. I may have a spare, if not then there is one in my local breakers yard if you don't want to shell out for a new shaft just to use the spider end.

Edited by Goliath

welshpug

they are all standard to ML5T gearbox shafts on a 406, probably C5 as well IIRC, i.e not just the V6

from a D8:

3272 S7 NFP DRIVE-SHAFT NEW LEFT MARKING KN46 (KN46)

- TURBO DIESEL XUD11BTE

- TURBO INJECTION XU10J2TE

- INJECTION ES9J4

- DW10ATED TURBO DIESEL

3273 Z0 NFP DRIVE-SHAFT NEW RIGHT

- TURBO DIESEL XUD11BTE

- TURBO INJECTION XU10J2TE

- INJECTION ES9J4

- DW10ATED TURBO DIESEL

I would just get an used l/h shaft complete and swap the joints over complete, don't faff with the needles, i.e just retain the shortened bar shaft.

Edited by welshpug

allye

Cheers guys, I was under the impression you could change them WP so I do that to get rid of the damaged part.

Goliath

I had the exact same problem (of losing the pins, not the hub failing) on my v6, but it happened to me in italy so finding a new shaft was tricky, I eventually tracked one down by the time we got to austria and swapped the tripod/spider end bit over!