• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
A1AXX

Driveshaft Seals

A1AXX

I can't find much solid info in this area (I have searched!).

I have a 205 CJ with a 106 gti engine and box. My trouble is the near side (pass) driveshaft seal. I'm on my 4th in one month. It seems that no matter what I can't get it to seal for more than 10miles!!

The car is lowered 100mm on the front, uses a 205 shaft with a shortened spline to allow the shaft to seat right into the box.

My only thought are that I could press another seal in 3/4 of the way with some sealant around the edge to see if it will seal better..

Any thoughts guys?

welshpug

sounds like you may be fitting them in too deep, not 100% on the MA box, but with the BE most need to be sitting proud by about 1.5mm, as documented in the haynes manual.

Edited by welshpug
  • Like 1

Daviewonder

Make sure your shaft is smooth without and rough bits (she said) that can damage the seal.

A1AXX

Cheers guys, il have a go when I'm refitting them after doing the crankshaft seal!!

That's funny you said about the 1.5 mm proud, I'm almost sure that's how pug1off had them fitted now that I'm thinking back!!!

The seals are the same as the be box, so I imagine that's where I'm going wrong.

The shaft does sit about 2/2.5 mm off the box. (A 2.5 mm gap to the seal I mean.)

A1AXX

You could also be right Davie,

I read on another forum that some people fitted new shafts with a little lacquer over the machined surfaces (must be to stop corrosion) and they the uneven paint was destroying seals!