• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lowercase

Not A Pug.... Mk1 Vw Derby

MiniGibbo

Awesome..!

Lowercase

i think ive sourced some smaller chrome bumpers too :) hopefully order them this evening/tomorrow.

Edited by DaSneakyGit

Lowercase

chrome bumpers are on the way!

an a quick picture collaboration of its future. blue paint, and tan and black interior

we dig?

colourcombo_zpsf38daf4d.png

MiniGibbo

Tan leather mmmmmmmm..

• Like 1

stufarri

Very nice!

Lowercase

went down and put a few more hours into taking it apart last night, couldnt get a jack under the car (too low!) but i managed to squeeze my arm under it (that was fun) and get the exhaust off! which will be replaced with a custom made stainless straight through 'pea shooter'. rasssp!

the coilpack, carbourettor and 70% of the engine bay loom is also out. i ran out of masking tape to label everything so thought i best stop there!

and the exhaust manifold is all unbolted save for a weird bracket that holds it to the back of the engine, but ill wait until i can get underneath to undo that.

im not sure, but it feels like progress lol.

Edited by DaSneakyGit

kyepan

is that a quattro swb in the back?

BERTMAN

is that a quattro swb in the back?

looks like a Scirocco to me

Lowercase

the green is a mk2 race build, its crazy, full cage, smooth bay, raised floor and 4wd conversion starting.

the black is actually a corrado, in for much the same thing.

the mk3 is waiting to be collected and a mk1 is at the painters at the moment. .

out of camera shot theres also a grey mi16 205 and a mint non sunny rust free white 205 gti shell. ;)

Lowercase

another day in the dub-cave!

first up a couple of pictures that i'd not managed to stick up until now.

firstly the old system, pea shooter for the win!

DSCF2779_zpsea94d618.jpg

and the big plastic bumpers and overly plastic grill. hopefully these shall never touch the car again! but, in fantastic condition so hopefully some one will give them a new home, and give me some moneys for more shiny parts!

DSCF2781_zpsa0f27f09.jpg

and some of how the body work stands: im thinking i'll most likely debadge the boot, but should i also de lock it?

DSCF2794_zpscaed2c5a.jpg

and my side shot - note the flat tyres!

DSCF2799_zpse940958f.jpg

and how i left it.

DSCF2792_zps776bb648.jpg

Lowercase

so onto today.

i decided id have another go at getting the wheels off, as they had been done up super tight! and well..

DSCF2800_zpsff246bea.jpg

after snapping a thick ass piece of steel, the wheel bolt finally turned and i got all wheels loose. :)

after that i cracked on getting the engine stripped down and the mounts loosened off ready to hoik it out.

all the loom is now out, all cables, hoses, wires, and fluids are out. just got to pull the drive shafts out the gearbox and disconnect the gear linkages and its time to pull it out!

im really liking how clutter free the engine bay is looking right now.

loom out, i labelled..everything! i'll thank myself for that when it comes to going through it and cleaning it up and re-shrink wrapping it.

Loom_zps557b668c.jpg

DSCF2816_zps8e30c889.jpg

DSCF2814_zps995765f4.jpg

DSCF2813_zps149997f0.jpg

my bumpers should be here this week, and my next purchase is a shiny new aluminium radiator and slim line fan to mount on the front , much less clutter than this!

DSCF2797_zps6a2ade93.jpg

Lowercase

today was a bit of a mission failure, in that i couldn't for the life of me find the attachment i needed to get the drive shafts out.

so, i got on with some other jobs. firstly with some cunning, i managed to squeeze a jack under the car and get it in the air!

DSCF2819_zpsa9d5a4f1.jpg

DSCF2820_zps2f835438.jpg

Left the oil to drain whilst i got on with removing the wings.

passenger side wing came off nicely, and low and behold, not half as bad as i was expecting it to be. a few areas that might need a small bit of attention, but, i'm happy.

DSCF2821_zps172e0f48.jpg

the drivers side was a different story altogether though. the car has obviously had some repair work in its life, and clearly it was done by a minky!

DSCF2824_zps7e8702d9.jpg

the drivers wing had been bolted on, bonded with glue, and welded on! some careful wire wheeling and a few bottom clenching minutes with the cutting disc and hot air gun and a razor blade revealed another mostly solid arch.

DSCF2831_zpsd5f54620.jpg

this area of the front panel will need a bit of light repair but on the whole i'm relieved.

DSCF2832_zpse1631210.jpg

i gave the arches a quick clean up and brush off before calling it a day, i was really worried i'd have to find replacement panels which would set the project back a month or two but they are very clean. i'll bare metal these at some point this week and hand them over to Gary to repair the edges in places.

passenger side:

DSCF2835_zpsab5fb1d7.jpg

DSCF2836_zps1470916d.jpg

and drivers side, note the crumbling corner and 10mm thick layer of filler:

DSCF2834_zps185b4c24.jpg

DSCF2837_zpsa71a32cd.jpg

DSCF2838_zpsb15e3fd0.jpg

Edited by DaSneakyGit

Lowercase

new toys!

shiny shiny bumpers.

DSCF2839_zps689ce4f5.jpg

DSCF2840_zpsd63c928b.jpg

• Like 1

Lan

so onto today.

i decided id have another go at getting the wheels off, as they had been done up super tight! and well..

DSCF2800_zpsff246bea.jpg

after snapping a thick ass piece of steel cheese

Cheap tools = top quality bodily harm if your not careful! :P

nice work though really liking this just a shame its not a rwd, if it was and had one of vags better lumps in there i'd happily do away with my golf for one!

edit: I know its your car but please don't ruin it by making it look like every other vw out there "vdubbers" have a serious lack of originality, unsurpisingly I don't do the whole undriveably low and ridiculously wide wheels look! and defo no Porsche parts grrr that really grinds my gears, its not a Porsche ffs! you should ignore me really I just hate most of the vdub scene! nice people but they all do the same thing!

Edited by Lan

Lowercase

a mental v6 rwd derby would be 'thee' best car ever lol

but, given that the front suspension on a polo is better set up for squashing apples than racing, that would be deadly lol

yea i don't understand a lot of the VAG scene.

im just hoping to build something simple to maintain, will run for a hundred miles on a thimble of fuel and looks cool. its not about getting there fast.

just building something timeless and subtle but turns heads and makes people smile. im more interested in clean, well executed attention to detail than attention seeking lairy mods.

• Like 1

Lowercase

a step forward today.

Jo (black corrado) came down today to give me a hand with removing the engine, we didn't have the craine so we decided to do it ghetto style.

i'll start by saying, that this is not the correct way to remove a driveshaft! still... needs must.

DSCF2843_zps3c788ad2.jpg

im not hiding on purpose, honest!

DSCF2844_zps76c620ae.jpg

Jo is..

DSCF2849_zps672b8b44.jpg

lowered the engine with a few jacks out the bottom of the bay, the anti-roll bar was the only thing stopping us from dragging the engine out. so..

DSCF2850_zpse01e1682.jpg

burning the bushes out

DSCF2852_zpsd5ab1fec.jpg

car jacked up a bit more, and out she came!

DSCF2853_zps78665c85.jpg

i can finally crack on with getting the last of the steering rack out and then its time to bare metal the bay :)

DSCF2855_zps977ed073.jpg

DSCF2857_zps23a2c786.jpg

• Like 1

Lowercase

a rather contrived update, started lots of jobs and not finished them but, none the less...updates

pulled the suspension out - ill strip it down later..

DSCF2862_zpsa0c686eb.jpg

and stripped the engine down a bit more ready to be cleaned and rebuilt. gearbox and other extremities off, still a few bits to go but, one thing at a time.

DSCF2867_zpsa78cd516.jpg

and ive bare metaled most of the front wings now ready for rust treating and welding. then etch, stone chip, prime and store ready for paint.

I quite like the two tone :P

DSCF2865_zps76837602.jpg

one finished, and looking like it came off a delorian

DSCF2864_zpsab481a58.jpg

and the back

DSCF2868_zpsb3c7249a.jpg

i then started hoiking the dash out, mostly so i could get to the steering column. loom out, heater out, seats out and dash out.

DSCF2866_zpsec426fb6.jpg

and the windscreen out, which cracked unfortunately....dry.png but.. happens, ill find another.. the amount of glass i found behind the dash would indicate that it wasn't the original one anyway.

i got a bit annoyed with clamouring around the doors every two minutes, so i took them off :P

DSCF2869_zpsc5380a6f.jpg

and thats me up to date... time to start bare metaling the engine bay tomorow wink.png

Lowercase

i only went down to clean up the workshop.. oops.

DSCF2875_zpsdda3ade1.jpg

DSCF2874_zps9e9b47fe.jpg

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

Yeah you've been real quiet dude..

Lowercase

things have moved on a bit, been busy moving house etc, waiting for parts to come up on ebay etc. but i should be back in the swing of things soon.

got to get myself back into a routine of getting down there and cracking on with the nasty jobs ive been putting off!

jonXS

Hey there buddy, any more progress on this motor?

i think it could look good with a set of p slot alloys fitted on it :P

once its finished of course

Lowercase

hey, im loosing my workspace and cant afford to rehouse it. so, yea, its up for sale if anyone wants it, will be going on ebay end of the week or so.

shame but, housing it elsewhere will push the cost of the build up to more than its worth.

Batfink

can you pm me a price and details. Might be a good car for my brother....

Kev

GilesW

PM me how much you're after. I'm not that far from you either.