• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lowercase

Not A Pug.... Mk1 Vw Derby

Lowercase

Hi Guys - and Gals?

Sure most of you have seen my Rallye thread, it demands a lot of my time and money and in return puts a big smile on my face when i thump the throttle. But, throwing money into a peugeot is never a solid investment as we know!

so...

introducing my new project:

1980's MK1 VW Derby.

Florida Blue

1.1 ltr Carb Engine

82,000 miles

Mods:

13" ATS Alloys

Lowered

Other than that she's 100% standard!

Recent resto work including new sills and arches and a new front passenger side wing.

New paint both sides up to roof. Recent discs, pads, fuel pump and complete fuel tank.

Bad points: fueling issue so currently is a non runner. And theres some rust coming through again in a few places.

Picking it up on Thursday an dropping it straight down to my mates VW workshop for the work to begin.

so, here's some pictures.

derby4-1_zps9d1d1c9c.jpg

derby10-1_zps03d273fa.jpg

derby8-1_zps2e2d4a74.jpg

derby3-1_zpse6af68a0.jpg

derby1-1_zpsf6b10685.jpg

derby2-1_zps80480813.jpg

lets get the abuse out the way now shall we? :P

Edited by DaSneakyGit
  • Like 1

Paul_13

Shame it's not rear wheel drive :lol:

Good luck with the resto

allye

20v 1.8T :ph34r:

pugpete1108

now that is a sexy looking car.

and i second the 20v turbo.

kyepan

v r 6....

chipstick

Very nice looking car.

As mentioned - shame it's not RWD.

What's the long term plan for it?

MiniGibbo

Love the blue as you know..!

GilesW

v r 6....

why spoil it?

Needs teh 20v T engine though.

As been said - lovely shape to that.

That will make a brilliant retro ride.

Good luck with it.

Lowercase

thanks guys, shes beautiful! love the side profile and ass end :P

Once my mates back from Worthersee we're going to strip it down as fast as we can.

- Cut/Weld any rust in the floor pan and underside, add fresh coatings of underseal and spray nice thick layers of new paint inside and underneath.

- Clean up and repaint the suspension malarky. Replace any bushes I can and run fresh fuel lines and brake likes. - the cars 33 years old so i think she's probably earned it!

we can get it back on its wheels from this point, which should make life a bit easier.

- smooth the bay a bit and re-spray the bay. followed by a wire tuck and painted block.

although its had some work 3 years ago, its starting to rot in a few places now, so we'll cut and replace any panels that need it at this point. If i can afford the exterior respray at the time i will, otherwise we'll just slap some paint on the new metal to protect it and run it like it is for a bit whilst i save for more work.

As said, yea its a shame its not RWD lol, that would be fun!

I'm going to look into engine choices, 1.8 turbo would be mental fun but as i want something simple, and most importantly, cheap to run! I plan to use this everyday so its got to be good on fuel to get me to work and to shows. i'll investigate the stock 1.1, might be an easy fix and refresh, but i might trade it in, there's enough engine builders in the VW scene and can get a reconditioned 1.3 for the £500 mark.

maybe some twin webbers for it :) pretty up the bay, better noise etc.

Im not going to go crazy VAG scene on this thing though, the car has a lot of character which i don't want to loose by mangling the bodywork or welding in mega wide arches. It's all about windows down and pottering along in a little retro beauty.

Shopping list so far:

early 'smaller' polo Chrome Bumpers - maybe remove them alltogether if it looks better without them

round headlights and grill.

another set of wheels to use in summer.

we'll fabricate a new retro 'pea shooter' stainless exhaust.

I'd like to keep the blue if i can, But i'll have to find a good biscuity tan leather to tone it down a bit, otherwise i'll play it safe with another period pastel colour like cream, red or a different blue.

but yea, there you have it. roll on thursday :)

some pictures of the previous work, just to add some colour to this block of text

derby4_zps1f20b6df.jpg

derby12_zps3309c5c3.jpg

derby10_zpsa60a16ea.jpg

derby11_zpsdb035adc.jpg

Lowercase
a late night, a long drive, a broken wiper blade in the pissing rain, but, the darby got onto the trailer and we managed to get it home and into the workshop.

she's beautiful! such nice lines, and a little tip folks, if you want megga stance, flat tyres are the way to roll ;)

watch this space. :D

947280_10151685737963064_1159623315_n_zpse5d9bf7c.jpg

Edited by DaSneakyGit
  • Like 1

MiniGibbo

Busy weekend ahead..!

• Like 2

stufarri

Lovely looking little thing, not seen one of these in 10 years or more.

Edited by stufarri

Lowercase

thanks guys, hoping to get down the workshop for a bit tomorow and have a really good poke around it and start getting my area cleaned up and ready to get to work.

what are we thinking about the colour folks?
keep it florida blue, nice tan leather interior to go with it, polished dish and some matt graphite centered wheels, smaller chrome bumpers and round headlamps.
maybe a nice gloss aqua, green or red?
nice and light and fresh, or will it be a bit barbie's dream car ?
or do i go the other way with it? sleek metallic grey, chrome bumpers, polished split wheels, and red or tan interior?
what do you think guys? sleek and classy, or fresh and poppin'

ORB

Porsche Cobalt Blue would suit that a lot.

Lowercase

mmm, i was so tempted by the colour like that on this derby, heres a bit of pic whoring of some mk1's that are providing inspiration..

i want something that pops but also something that can be versatile in terms of wheel colours and choice etc..

classy ones:

1_zps94000261.jpg

7358832634_5393f05a5a_o_zps0d23ea6f.jpg

_J1H8975_zpsb46d78e5.jpg

ORB

If not a subtle colour like Cobalt, go with Viper Green

Lowercase

and some colourful ones. starting with florida blue, the one in the paint booth looks soo deep and creamy, i could just drink it!

mk1_powder1_zpsc9468d9e.jpg

photo2cl_zps7ac04e1d.jpg

red

1email_zps2b83a893.jpg

green pea

269_zps42cc28c0.jpg

aqua

549970_522955997749573_1488387252_n_zps8a8d9777.jpg

stufarri

My choice would be dark grey with red leather and BBS splits, mmm.

• Like 1

jonXS

keep it the same blue. i think it looks really good with that colour :) :)

• Like 1

kyepan

the dub scene lowering gets a bit too extreme.. I do like the rolled tyres thing in moderation, but those cars look like they have less suspension than my renta-kart.

allye

and some colourful ones. starting with florida blue, the one in the paint booth looks soo deep and creamy, i could just drink it!

mk1_powder1_zpsc9468d9e.jpg

That is amazing. The car is quite nice too......

• Like 2

Batfink

the dub scene lowering gets a bit too extreme.. I do like the rolled tyres thing in moderation, but those cars look like they have less suspension than my renta-kart.

drive slow, look cool.

Lowercase

lol yea. mines on some adjustable spax items and i think it sits spot on, touch lower maybe, but its still practical.

arghh the blue is so pretty. and will work with tan leather, just got to be careful it doesn't look like ken and barbies dream car lol

likewise, i dont want to paint it some trick colour, and for it to be old hat in a years time.

Lowercase

i'll leave this here.. them crazy germans...

derby039_zpsb8b68cd2.jpg

Lowercase

spent the entire day down at the workshop yesterday. i have never , ever, ever had such a trouble free day working on a car. no seized bolts, no broken clips..

so far i have removed:

grill

headlights

bumpers

indicators

number plates and lights

rear lights

wing mirrors

radiator

fan cowling

wipers and motor

washer bottle

expansion tank

ive left it with the oil draining, so next time i can jack the front up, whip off the wheels and drop the engine out.

the engine looks in good health though. no milky oil in the filler cap etc. so once its out ill clean it up. maybe get the head skimmed, and then replace the headgasket, cambelt, spark plugs etc and scrape any gloop out the sump pan. fresh fluids and filters should do it wonders.

on the bright side the rubber coolant hoses are like new!

the expansion tank and washer bottle are being moved under the scuttle pannel which will have a cover made up for it, meaning i can get the smoothed bay look without having to cut the bulkhead and loose the heater.

the radiator could do with being replaced however, so im going to ditch the large fan cowling and fit a front mounted slim line fan which should remove the last of the clutter from the engine bay as well as being more efficient.

some pictures:

971285_10151612811061665_553066602_n_zps1ddeb2fc.jpg

249133_10151612810846665_223046170_n_zps1e3dabb0.jpg

Photo0406_zps6a352309.jpg

166028_10151612810901665_139606212_n_zps92dcb112.jpg