• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hcmini1989

Converting Hydraulic Lifters To Solids

hcmini1989

Right i have been doing some looking around and asking a few people about this but im still unsure .So i would like to see if anybody can help.

Im wanting to convert some S16 lifters to solid ones.Now do i get the whole internals remade as one peice ?.Or do i get an insert to replace the bit with the valve inside .And keep the peice that sits on top of the valve.

Allso as for shims am i better off having a shim on top of the valve or built inside the lifter itself ?.

Or does anybody know if the XU diesel spring setup or lifters would fit inside the s16 head?.Im lead to believe these have a solid lifters with a small disc as a shim?

Allso how do the after market lifters for these engines have shims?.Or is it a case of grinding the lifter itself?.

Cheers for any help

Edited by hcmini1989

petert

Yes, one piece internals, made from silver steel, hollowed out. The length of which determines the clearance. Grind a slot down the side with a mounted dremel tool to let oil escape.

Aftermarket solid lifters use a "top hat" shim which sits on top of the valve.

Edited by petert

hcmini1989

Petert do you have a picture?.Im guessing when you say hollowed out you dont mean all the way through?.Would i be best leaving say 2-3mm where it presses on the valve?.Allso with the slot ground down the side would that mean i didnt have to block the hole in the side up?.

petert

Correct. Just imagine the two pieces of the hydraulic piston assembly as one. Ø12mm silver steel fits perfectly.

Alan_M

This is from my thread regarding solid lifters. Might be of help?

I'm planning on doing the same thing, got the material, dimensions and a machinist lined up ready.

solidlifterconversion.jpg

hcmini1989

Ive been speaking with a few people about shims etc my plan is to get the insert made well over size then get the insert ground down to the right size rather than using shims .Might be less work than getting shims made aswell?.Alan m what engine is yours for ?.

Would it be a good idea to block the hole up in the lifter aswell so theres no oil in there at all?.Being less weight in there would be better right?.Or would i risk ruining the lifter by chancing getting it welded ?.

Alan_M

I'm planning on running a rev-tastic 1.9 Mi16, using something along the lines of Peters stage 2 cam for solids.

From PeterTs fountain of knowledge from my thread (http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=148425). Unfortunately, it's digressed somewhat to oil pressures.

To convert the hydraulic lifter, make a single piece hollowed out piston, that replaces the two piece hydraulic piston. No shims are necessary, as clearance can be controlled by the length of the piston. The lifter will still fill with oil. To enable oil to drain, grind a slot down the side of the piston.

To make like easy, turn up some dummy mild steel solid pistons to begin with, in order to get the clearances within a suitable range.

And remove non-return valves and fit restrictors.

You can certainly do this job a lot cheaper than you think. For example, the silver steel stock we get here has an excellent surface finish and is a perfect fit into the bucket. Thus minimal machining is required. In regards to cams, I'm using these profiles in the 1905cc engine which fit easily on the standard cams as a regrind. Any reduction in base circle diameter is taken up by the length of the new piston.

INLET
277 deg @ 0.010"
240 deg @ 0.050"
0.368" lift

EXHAUST
266 deg @ 0.010"
233 deg @ 0.050"
0.375" lift

You can use standard springs if they're shimmed correctly. Otherwise, use the Catcam single PAC-S10011 and re-shim if your standard springs don't pull up.

If using a standard head gasket, you "possibly" won't need to pocket the pistons as you can run the clearances a bit tighter with solid cams. I'd fit the Cometic 0.7mm gasket and do the job properly however, for optimum results.

The Catcam lifter/bucket doesn't have any internals, other than a spigot, thus can't retain any oil. I use a Kawasaki bucket which is completely empty. The benefit of these two is weight reduction, as no oil is in the bucket. Restricting oil by replacing the one way valves just helps to minimise the amount of oil being delivered to the head. There is still sufficient to oil the cams and run the spray bars, but not enough to operate a hydraulic lifter. Thus oil will still pool around the exhaust cam/valves and ideally needs to be drained away with external drains, dry sump scavenge pump etc.

mollisk

When fitting soild lifters is it necessary to fit a restriction orifice to the oil supply to the cylinder head and if so what size of the hole in the restrictor ?

Regards

Mollisk