• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Telf

Valve Stem Seals

Telf

Hello all,

A mate of mine is looking to change his valve stems seals on a 1.9 GTI - he thinks they can be done in situ without removing the head whereas ive only ever done the job as part of a head refurb whilst changing the head gasket.

So my question is does anybody know if its possible to change the seals in situ or not? Ive not actually had to remove a head for about 5 years now so my memory is abit vague

Any help or advice would be greatly appriciated

Thanks

Anthony

It is meant to be possible to do with a bit of faffing (search will reveal how) although I've never personally done it.

However, in my experience by the time the engine has sufficient miles/age that the stem seals are tired, the rest of the head is typically equally tired and would benefit from being checked and refurbished, which is obviously a head off job anyway.

Telf

Hi anthony,

This pug blows oil like a smoke screen from mad max, apart from that it seems to run fine, I personally think that we might as well whip the head off and refurb it too.I will try to convince him this would be the easiest option.

thanks for the reply

regards

paul

Telf

Whilst im on the subject of engines are there any members in the suffolk area (Ipswich) that know a good garage locally for engine tuning? Mine is missing a little and generally feels abit flat, the nearest i can find is in colchester T&M

again any help would be great Ty!

MikeC

i have done them before with a fitting for compressed air in the spark plug hole and the head left on the car. Mind you it was on a corolla.

Was a pig to do. As people have said best to whip the head off anyway, as the seals are gone, good change the guides may be worn aswell.

ORB

MikeC - I used to do this with Ford engines!

MikeC

Can't beat a good ole bodge job :ph34r: The length of time it took me, it would have been quicker to whip the head off :D

Still didn't made a blind bit of difference to the oil burning in the efi engine

Telf

thanks guys, i think the head removal will definately be the way ahead, thanks for you advice