• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anulfo

Carbs Vs Bodies

Anulfo

Okay i hear you say from the heading,its a no brainer TB's every time!!!This weekends pug meet at Cheddar has whetted my appetite for more improvements.

At the mo the set up is a Longman built 8valve engine on twin 45 weber carbs.I've absolutely no complaints about the car at all,the engine is healthy and pulls well and the carbs have a nice bark!!Problem is the carbs do require a lot of fettling and quite frequently too and this set up seems to be quite dated now.What im after is advice on throttle bodies and management systems.What products are the best suited to the 8 valve set up and which companies provide them?Obviously im not going to gain any more power but what i should gain is the car 'running' better!!

pug_ham

Obviously you'll need to have it mapped to suit your engine perfectly so decide who will be doing the mapping & see what management system they prefer to work with.

Sandy isn't far from you & he'll probably be your best choice imo.

DTA or Emerald as fairly evenly matched on pro's & cons imo (both have very few cons).

As for the throttle bodies, Jenvey are the obvious choice, I think they have some rivals now but can't name any atm. :unsure:

You should gain a little power from swapping to TB's & an after market ecu though imo.

There is an article in the latest Trackdriver magazine iirc by Dave Walker who admits carbs have long since had their day & ITB's are a vast improvement.

g

Miles

There's always pro's and con's for ECU's, I use Omex as I have a good local mapper to me which is ideal, nothing worse than having to travel hours for this, Other rated ECU's for me is Motec or DTA, Live mapping on the Omex so if you change a setting it's instant which on some is not the case which makes mapping a pain.

Neat touches with the 8v are the later stat housing which houses a OE coil pack and std leads which most generic companies won't know about

You will gain something in the mid range and bottom end over carb's, As you;ve said max power I doubt will change