• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pogles2008

Xu10J4 Mi16 Engine Or Gti6

pogles2008

Hi all I have a mi16 engine steel block that needs a rebore and new pistons 600 quid plus!!! Or do I get a gti 6 engine and put in my 205 gti!!!

Couple of questions

Do I need different engine mounts or do it go straight in??

Can I run a 1.9 be3 gearbox???

Which clutch do I use etc etc

Cheers

camgti

All these things have been covered many times if you search. It will also help you make a decision on what engine you want to use as when you read it informs you as to what works and what dosent.

Otherwise. How long is a piece of string? Are you running after market management? If so. I would probably use the J4 and put a 88mm crank in as you have to get pistons to suit your over bore anyway. Add a set of Peter T cams and go that route.

Otherwise. THe GTi 6 will be good. Engine mounts are the same. You will need a few changes to make it work but not much. Depends on your budget. Cam choice is limited with the 6 as standard. Nice motor though.

Get a goal of what your after and we can give you more advice!

Cam

Yes you can run the BE3. THey are all the same. I wuld personally fit a 4.4 CWP form the MI16 box to that gear set as its too long to get the most from the motor.

Cam

pogles2008

Hi cam thanks for advice I will look throught the forum for more info mate!!! So really you can play about with the mi16 more that you can a gti6??

The car has been sitting in my garage for a long time so got abit of money to spend on her!!! What management would be the best to run on the mi 16 as it is just standard at the min???

Cheers

petert

I'd have an XU10J4 over an XU10J4RS any day.

• Like 1

Alan_M

I'd have an XU10J4 over an XU10J4RS any day.

Any reasons why (I'm intrigued to know)?

welshpug

keeps more customers because they go bang :lol:

they aren't that different are they?!

Edited by welshpug
  • Like 1

SurGie

Iv had both engines and i would rather have the GTI5 than the MI16/S16, the main reason is the fact that parts for these engine's are easily available due to the cars they come from being newer and mileage is usually better. When a lightened flywheel is fitted the revs aren't as lazy as before

As for the S16 oil starvation, of which i had on mine, this can be sorted out by using the GTI6 baffled sump iirc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

106 Quicksilver

205 GTI5 - Project thread

205 1.4 GT - project thread

306 GTI6

petert

Any reasons why (I'm intrigued to know)?

Assuming mileage is ok, the XU10J4 has a lot more piston to valve clearance, meaning you can throw in much bigger cams into a standard engine. Also, although a minor point, XU10J4 is has full floating pistons, whereas XU10J4RS are pressed pin. Additionally, all XU10J4 post 11/'93 have the same oil control as an XU10J4RS. Obviously you throw away the XU10J4 dual stage inlet manifold and fit either 1.9L Mi16, GTi6 or TB's.

Also, XU10J4 has sequential fuel injection. You see many TB installations where it's not used. Goodness knows why.

Edited by petert