• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Garyb12133

205 Gti6 Conversion Fitting My Original 1.6 Gearbox Help

Garyb12133

Hi every one hope all is well, after to much time pondering on this conversion I'm going to start my 205 gti6 conversion this weekend and I have already both engines out of the cars, and would really like to know as much information on fitting the original 205 gti 1.6 gear box to the gti6 engine, the main burning question in my mind is what clutch and flywheel do I have to use???? And any tips that you guys could give me would be most great full

Many thanks

Gary

Tom Fenton

I've moved this to the XU engine/gearbox section. The "Questions/Comments" forum section is intended for queries about the operation of the forum, not technical topics.

Secondly, have you had a read through past topics on this subject? As it has been covered many many times before. There are lots of info and pictures that will help your job go smoothly but you have to put the effort into finding them.

There are various ways around doing it. The way I would do it would be to keep the GTI6 flywheel and use a Citroen BX 16v clutch.

Garyb12133

Thank you sir and sorry I have looked on the forum but will look harder at finding the answer I need

chipstick

As Tom says, BX 16v clutch.

If you're unsure on anything else, have a nosey in the projects section and you'll find various ways of doing things.

pugpete1108

As said I used a mi16 clutch (same as above?) and the std gti6 fly.

All bolted up nicely

• Like 1

chipstick

BX 16v narrows it down when ordering

glenwah

I put the 1.6 box on my Gti6 engine even after reading all the warnings about the stupidly low gearing, only done it as it was all I had, my god it's terrible on anything other than twisty roads, just screaming its tits off.

• Like 1

ORB

215mm MI16 clutch (BX GTI 16v) is the boy.

The only problem with 1.6 to other boxes is the shafts & hubs etc.

Miles

shafts make's no difference to the box, Only the Heavy duty diff as fitted on late 405's and 306's cannot use the N/S 205 shaft as you need to change the Diff over

Garyb12133

Thanks guys keep them coming has any bought the cheap bx gti clutch kits from eBay for £40-£60 ??

Also guys I have slightly upgraded the front brakes to 268mm discs and 306 S16 calipers,as for the hubs I purchased them from eBay item number 400333366130 to keep the 205 gti 1.6 driveshafts,

The intension for the little 205 gti is for trackdays

ORB

You'll need 1.9 hubs for the brakes.

Miles

Right hub's, but hope you didn't pay that for them, It's not a GTi clutch you need, a 16v one is the one, but only buy Valeo or LUK, Cheap ones are c**p

Garyb12133

Yeah I paid for them :( Valeo or LUK thanks miles

Garyb12133

Hi guys what starter motor do use the 306 one or the 205 starter???

welshpug

whichever is in decent nick, the smaller bodied 306 unit is favoured due to being more reliable compact and lighter.

Garyb12133

Thank you I used the 306 starter in the

End. Another question pls, the bottom engine mount that's bolted the engine is a alloy plate I used the 205 alloy plate as I have up graded the rubber bush, is there any differance in these alloy plates? As the exhaust is failing on the bulkhead, and the bottom engine mount that connects to subframe will not connect to the subframe as its 4-5 mm to short

welshpug

all the XU/BE rear alloy engine mount brackets are the same, all 205 XU rear forks are the same, also the 306 XU/XUD/DW is the same fork with a different bush fitted.

you need the manifold re-angled and a downpipe altered to suit, Miles does both of these on an exchange basis IIRC so if you aren't so handy with the fabrication you can sort it easily enough, he's just over an hour from you in the Fordingbriodge area.